Last week, oddly enough, the system - XP-pro - did fine, and I got huge amounts of work done on the new master product catalog. Come yesterday, and I'm back to a crawl. DRAW X3 is taking 4 minutes to load, with no other user Apps running. I don't see how the problem could be the overloaded View Manager, which various people here suggested as the source, as there is no file involved. When I do load a file, I notice that some pages do just fine now with Copy and Paste, while with others it can take half a minute to Copy/Paste a single word. The Catalog is formatted as a series of two page spreads, with standardized headings, etc. and typically several product photos of moderate size, standardized text blocks with bullets, diagrams and specification charts. If I have 6 or so such spreads open, I can go to one and see no major slowdown, while the next one is sluggish to absurdity, with nothing I can isolate as a different element..I'm not supposed to be downloading anything, which pretty much stops me cold as far as using one of the View cleaners. But, rather than bend company policy, management has limited options, one of which would be to buy a more recent version of DRAW. I recall someone writing to the effect that one of the later versions was able to delete all View Manager data, which might or might not solve the problem. So, can anyone tell me which version started offering that capability? Are there similar problems of huge slowdowns with later versions of DRAW, as well?
Hello Phil; Do a search for %TEMP%, and select all of the temp files. ( Windows will NOT let you delete anything that is being usde, So it's best to do that after a fresh reboot.) Clean out the "Spy Ware". Defrag the hard drives. Use a "Registry" Cleaner ( I use Warp Registry Cleaner, It's Free.) Do these four things in the order listed and things should improve. There are a lot of other things that could be done, But I think these are the main ones, and should be done every week.
Sign Guy, thanx, but I keep the system really clean of temp files, and I defrag every so often, altho none of the hard drive partitions is anywhere near full. As for the Registry Cleaner, I am not allowed to download anything, and the spyware does not identify itself and offer to be deleted.
And, like I wrote above, I can have several pages - which are separate files of two facing pages each, all with the same general format - open and typically two of them will have massive slowdowns on Copy/Paste, while the others will be fine. This tells me that the problem is file-related, not system-related.
Darn. Roadblock after roadblock in what should be a simple problem... Still can't upload a sample file, as when I got to the library, I discovered that my yahoo account had been hacked ... again. Tried to do the confirmation from yahoo for 2shared.com, but apparenlty it didn't take. Sigh.Meanwhile, here's a screen shot of the problem as related to the mystery table object I mentioned as point #1 above: (2nd try, as it appears that this editor does not allow .cpt files.)
Since the problem as shown above with the mystery attachment to the table appears to be unicode-related, is there an easy way to spot hidden unicode and remove it?
Note that the trailing DNA spiral looking tiny squares show up when I select the table only. I.e., I am not lassoing the spiral squares at all. Nevertheless, it appears, even though it should not be being selected at all. Normally, you either click directly on an object or you lasso it in order to select it, unlike the Adobe products that select everything you drag the mouse across. This is acting like an Abode select. I'm lassoing the table, but an object that doesn't even show up in the Object Manager and cannot apparently be isolated or delected without clearing the table still shows up like dark matter, adding a whole lot of bytes - 600K or so - to the file.
Success at last - Here's the file location!!!
problem is with color styles - Windows Docker Clolor Styles - when deleted the file size decrease. See attached file.
here you can download free macro to avoid reading of color styles during file opening.
Thanks, Mek. That sure reduced the file size, but the mystery object remains. I was finally able to delete the table rectangles, leaving a tiny "4" when I zoomed on the remaining tiny graphic. I then selected all and then ran the text editor and then Copied and Pasted as text, which yeilded the table text entries that somehow could not be colored or outlined, and didn't show up in the Object Manager.