Please help with Corel Photopaint 9

I've been using Corel 9 for years.  My HP Pavillion died with Corel 9 on it.  I just got a new desktop last week and found out I can't reload the program from disks.  Understand I sit comfortably in the generation gap and found the more newer versions too advanced for me.  Of course Corel  doesn't have any versions of the old school. Can I find it online somewhere?

• You have been using Corel 9 for years?  That's the problem!  Computer companies don't make money on people using older programs. :-) Yes, using the older programs is becoming more and more difficult.  I have an older desktop PC with dual-boot: Win98SE and XP.  I run Colrel 10 and 12 on them (and have my old Alps MicroDry printer connected to it for printing decals.

I assume that the new desktop uses Windows 10. As I see it, there are couple options. Find a older (used) computer (with an older version of Windows) and install Corel 9 on it.  You might find such computer on eBay or maybe at a local computer repair shop (if you have one of those around).  The other possibility is to create a virtual machine (VM) within the Windows 10 and run Corel 9 in it. Basically it is just as if you had a complete and separate PC running inside the Windows 10 on your desktop.

There are multiple Virtual Machine apps out there. I have used https://www.virtualbox.org/  It is easy to set up and use.  Well, things might get a bit more complicated if you need to use USB ports or connect printers to your VM.  You also need the OS install media to install the OS inside the VM.  If you don't have the older OS disks, you might be able to find them on eBay or elsewhere.  Corel 9 should run on Win 98SE up to probably Win XP (or maybe even Windows 7). But the older OS (like 98 or XP will probably be easier to install on a VM).

If you get stuck, there are plenty of Virtual Box tutorials and support forums to assist you.

Good luck!

Peteski

• I also still use Corel 9 quite a bit if I am just doing something simple.  I am using it with Windows 7 and 10 with no problems but I have the Compact Disc version.

I would suggest buying a combo floppy/SD card USB drive for less than $20 if money is the issue.  What "I" would do is just buy Version 9 on CD from Amazon or E-bay.  Shouldn't be too hard to find.

The new versions can be intimidating at first if you are jumping several versions (you would be jumping many!), but it will benefit you in the end to upgrade.   What I do with each new version is keep the old one on my PC while trying out the newer version.  If I get stuck, I go back to the older version till I can figure it out.  If you get stuck, Google and this forum answers many questions.