The color space puzzle

Obviously, CorelDRAW allows to choose the desired color space, so the RGB coordinates are defined within that color space. Now, on a Dell computer, you have to select a color space for the screen in the app Dell PremierColor (and you can even select different color spaces for different programs). The effect of this is that the same color space in CorelDRAW appears differently depending on which color space I select in Dell PremierColor, so ironically, with all that "control" I have no clue anymore, with which color space I'm actually working.

AdobeRGB in CorelDraw looks different depending on whether sRGB or AdobeRGB is set in Dell PremierColor, and the combinations sRGB in CorelDraw and sRGB or AdobeRGB in Dell PremierColor look yet different.

So the question arises, which color space should I select for my screen in both applications to have CorelDRAW actually show the proper color space I selected there? When I'm working with AdobeRGB, should I match the setting in the Dell app with it or even select the full screen color space in order for the screen to be able to show the full range of colors, or does the Dell App just assume everything is sRGB, and choosing AdobeRGB would do the same transformation twice, so do I need to choose sRGB? Or should I select the full screen profile in CorelDraw and choose the approriate color profile in PremierColor instead?

Parents
  • WOW! Dell has really screwed the pooch. I would disable the Dell PremierColor application entirely, in my opinion this application as well as others found in other systems including the Mac are detrimental to repeatable color. ,y professional studio display has preset RGB color spaces too and I totally disable them, they're like offering an alcoholic a drink.

I suggest you buy a Spyder Pro Elite and calibrate your display. About $200 U.S.. There are others but in my experience this gives a great bang for the buck.

You don't mention what version of Windows but since Windows Vista it's been the same process simply with different dialog interfaces.  Also DO NOT work in a dimly lit studio nor work with the dark workspaces.

I'm a tad worn out and working from memory here!  Set Windows to use RGB for ICC profiles and calibrate your display to 6,500 Kelvin. Print in general moved there from 5,000 Kelvin about a decade ago and this allows RGB web work, wide gamut RGB, Grayscale, spot color and CMYK digital print work as well as traditional printing press CMYK work. Only CorelDRAW can work in expanded gamut environments but there are soft proofing considerations. 

The way color management is designed to work is to use a properly lit environment, an industry established desktop work environment and a calibrated display. The profile for the display is custom, IT IS NOT, sRGB, Adobe RGB or any other theoretical RGB color space, it's not supposed to be,  it is supposed to be a device dependent profile. Ergo eyedropper tools from inside a color managed application will not pick up proper colors from the desktop nor from other applications. 

All color managed applications pick up the display profile via the operating system interface, the RGB numbers from the application always remain the same for in application conversions but they are converted by Windows based on the custom display profile to look correct to the eye and the calibration spectrophotometer for the display. 

All you do then is use the color management interface in The CorelDRAW Graphics Suite to set your regional industry specifications.

As once a CorelDRAW file is created and saved all Draw and Photo-PAINT bitmap interactions are color managed to the Draw settings I use this process.

I do a great deal of image editing so Photo-PAINT is set to prophoto RGB the default Grayscale and GRACoL V2 coated CMYK.

Draw has a few settings, all Grayscale is default,  CMYK is set for the region, (GRACoL coated and uncoated) for the U.S., and in some cases a specific newspaper CMYK profile. RGB settings are prophoto RGB for archival print via inkjets, Adobe RGB for standard inkjet and digital print engine and sRGB for WEB, if you do alot of Facebook you can use URB RGB.

REMEMBER! No this is not Spock and McCoy from Start Trek 2, this is critical!

Set your rendering intent to Perceptual in The CorelDRAW Graphics Suite! 

RRMEMBER! You will NOT get exact conversions in Adobe as in CorelDRAW or Photo-PAINT, this is NOT INCORRECT!

Adobe has limited support for color engines and the last time I checked they only supported their own (ACE), Adobe Color Engine,  CorelDRAW and Photo-PAINT support WCS, LCMS and MS ICM CMM.  Some engineers think that LCMS provides the best compatibility between Adobe and Corel.  I don't give a rats a$$ about Adobe I use WCS. 

THERE IS NO COMMON color engine support.

Also Adobe by default uses Black Point Compensation (turned on) thie mimics but is not exactly like a true ICC Compliant rendering intent. So YES, Adobe by default, ergo purposely, Adobe does it wrong.

Reply Children
No Data