Help required converting tracings to outline for laser cutting

Hi I'm a 73 year old woodworker and as my username suggests I do strange things like deciding to enhance my woodwork with laser cutting and engraving. I am a nonDigital Dinosaur and would appreciate some help. (Believe me it was a major achievement just trying to join this forum.) I am asking you guys as SWMBO said I have to achieve results soon as I am long past my alloted 3 score and ten years.

Here is my request.

I have a friend who makes small folk art type signs with small cutouts of pigs, chickens, wine glasses etc. in mdf. She has given me some tracings of her cutouts, in ballpoint pen on paper. I have scanned these into a png file at 300dpi and then import them into Coreldraw 2017 and try to convert them into hairline outlines I can use to cut out the images on a laser in mdf. I have ( I think the word is "unspecified" results.) If someone could suggest the steps to do this I would be internally grateful. I would like to get some results from this laser before I have to convert it into a boat anchor.