Re: Offline installation

Created a separate topic because for some reason I can't answer my own post on the other topic about the availability of an offline install ...

I have been told by support there is no available offline installation for the 2017 products. Too bad ... The only workaround was to perform a full install on a different computer. After installation was completed on that second computer, a "setup" folder was created and it could be (hopefully) copied to finally perform an offline installation on the original target.

• > I have been told by support there is no available offline installation for the 2017 products.
    You're not alone. This has become ridiculous.
    I like to keep my software up-to-date. Despite the rather modest improvements in version 2017, relative to the upgrade cost, I decided to take advantage of the $464 holiday offer. I was dismayed to find that the customary option to pay a reasonable fee to have a backup DVD shipped is no longer offered. Instead, a $15 fee is, by default, added to your order for something called "2 Year Software Download Insurance" which a popup explains thusly:
    "Protect yourself with download insurance! Never worry about losing your CD(s) again, we will retain a backup copy of your digital file/download for 2 years."
    In other words, for a $15 fee, Corel obligates itself to allow you to re-download only the online installer for your "perpetual license" all over again--but only for 24 months (!?)
    Calling the outsourced Customer Service outfit (something called Cleverbridge), I was first told that there is no "boxed version" (the term they insist on using for what Corel calls "backup CD(s)") for Designer Suite 2017. On a second call, I was told that the only way to obtain a "boxed version" is to buy a new license at full price.
    Smart, Corel. Punish your long-time customers for their loyalty.
    It's bad enough to have to re-download in order to perform any routine re-installation when a computer fails or is replaced, or when a program just has a problem. That aggravation is compounded if living in a semi-rural area where internet service is less than stellar.
    Moreover, mission-critical dependency upon a software vendor which would rather lose a $364 sale than simply provide a set of backup installation disks is foolhardy.
    Regrettably, I returned the software for a refund. So much for recommending Technical Designer to my colleagues as a replacement for competing software. It's a pity, but I guess I'll not be investing any of my time through the next 24 months toward increased proficiency with Technical Designer or Draw.
    JET
  • > I have been told by support there is no available offline installation for the 2017 products.
    I sympathize.
    I like to keep my software up-to-date. Despite the rather modest improvements in version 2017, relative to the upgrade cost, I decided to take advantage of the $464 holiday offer. I was dismayed to find that the customary option to pay a reasonable fee to have a backup DVD shipped is no longer offered. Instead, a $15 fee is, by default, added to your order for something called "2 Year Software Download Insurance" which a popup explains thusly:
    "Protect yourself with download insurance! Never worry about losing your CD(s) again, we will retain a backup copy of your digital file/download for 2 years."
    In other words, for a $15 fee, Corel obligates itself to allow you to download the online installer for your "perpetual license" all over again--but only for 24 months (!?)
    Calling the outsourced Customer Service outfit (something called Cleverbridge), I was first told that there is no "boxed version" (the term they insist on using for what Corel calls "backup CD(s)") for Designer Suite 2017. On a second call, I was told that the only way to obtain a "boxed version" is to buy a new license at full price.
    Smart, Corel. Punish your long-time customers for their loyalty.
    It's bad enough to have to re-download in order to perform any routine re-installation when a computer fails or is replaced, or when a program just has a problem. That aggravation is compounded if living in a semi-rural area where internet service is less than stellar. Moreover, mission-critical dependency upon a software vendor which would rather lose a $364 sale than simply provide a set of backup installation disks is foolhardy.
    Regrettably, I returned the software for a refund. So much for recommending Technical Designer to my colleagues as a replacement for competing software. It's a pity, but I guess I'll not be investing any of my time through the next 24 months toward increased proficiency with Technical Designer or Draw.
    JET
  • Am I missing something? The original 2017 is available from Amazon, ref: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=corelcad+2017

These are boxed discs.

The update ( which is sorely needed ) for 2017.5 is a complete redownload, but in fairness, it's been that way since at least CoreCAD2012, and I think even CorelCAD (Original) in 2010/2011 had the same issue.

I don't know if anything will change for 2018, but at the moment, it's still the same.