BFN and repairing badly-tagged font families - thoughts?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on wrangling the following issue with font naming.

Briefly:  I have several font families from a small semi-pro foundry, perfectly functional in all respects except the font naming.  Within each font file, the font name is listed simply as the font family name alone, with no differentiation for the various weights and widths.  No surprise, then, that they all show up in BFN as Duplicate Fonts, and that only one of them can be activated.  There's nothing to tell BFN they're actually distinct fonts.

No worries, I have the tools and understanding to edit the files and set them right.  I've done it before with other fonts, quite successfully.  But I can't see a simple solution to how best to split them.

For instance, there are Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic, Black and UltraBlack variants for every width.  And the widths include Book, Condensed, Compressed, Thin, Light, Extra Light, Hairline and Mono.  (Overkill, probably, with modern typographic tools, but there ya go.)

If I create, say, a Condensed sub-family, do I put all six weights under that "<Fontname> Condensed" name?  That means all six weights would appear under the fiont name in BFN, but what about in CorelDraw and Adobe Photoshop?  How many variant weights can you have in a single font face in the applications themselves?  Or would you list UltraBlack as a font all its own?

This is one aspect of font management I've never been sure of;  and judging from the variant approaches you see from foundry to foundry, even with vendors like Adobe and Bitstream itself, then I would say I'm not the only on who's not clear on a simple "best" solution.

I hope it's clear(ish) what I'm asking.  I'd be grateful to hear others' thoughts on this.  Thanks!