Shadows turning in to Squares when exported as PDF

I was recently working on a catalog layout in CorelDRAW and ran in to an issue I've seen before but wasn't sure if anyone knew what causes it?  I had CDR file with many items with layered shadows throughout the document.  When I converted the file to a PDF, some of the shadows translated fine, and other turned in to transparent boxes.  Below is a couple of screenshot examples (not sure if you can really see what's going on at the size I'm allowed to upload).  Most of the time, I don't see this issue, but in this instance, I was working in a very large document that was a catalog layout and I had a TON of these boxes throughout the document that was bout 84 pgs and at the time was around 6.5 Gb, so it was a big file, but again, some of the shadows were fine, some were not. 

My workaround for this is to break the shadow off of the object and convert it to a bitmap (if I just break it off and don't convert it, it still seems to render as a square or box).  It works, but I lose the ability to edit it further.  

I worked with support and sent test files that seemed to not replicate the issue on their end and they recommended I check here.  Has anyone run into this or know what causes it or how to avoid it?  Thanks!