Graphics Business?

Sorry if this isn't in the proper forum...

After 14 years of working on salary for the same company, I find myself now an independent contractor, still doing graphics for the same company, but now as my own boss.

So I find myself in the odd predicament of being a skilled graphic artist with no clue on the business end of it. And I need to get more clients.

I'm sure I need an online portfolio, which I could do... but can anyone share some ideas how to generate more business? I've been a hired graphic artist for 20 years and never had to go out and get clients. I don't even know where to begin. Door to door? Email? Bids online? Craigslist? It almost seems like too many options to the point that I don't know where to focus my attention.

I went to the library in search of books on the topic, and what I found was horrible outdated. And looking online, I'm seeing mostly varied and generic answers.

And by the way, yes I do all of my graphics using CorelDraw, which is why I am turning to this trusted community for a little guidance. :-)

Thanks in advance, and again, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong spot.

J.

Parents
No Data
  • Starting a business can be hard, theres nothing like word of mouth but that takes years. You can hire a salesman that has or is working for some of the big companies that could get you started. You can also look for new companies going into buisness and offer to advertise for them.

I started a sign compony 20 years ago and I remember how hard it was.

The local court house should have a list of new companies.

GOOD LUCK George

Children
No Data