Graphics Business?

Sorry if this isn't in the proper forum...

After 14 years of working on salary for the same company, I find myself now an independent contractor, still doing graphics for the same company, but now as my own boss.

So I find myself in the odd predicament of being a skilled graphic artist with no clue on the business end of it. And I need to get more clients.

I'm sure I need an online portfolio, which I could do... but can anyone share some ideas how to generate more business? I've been a hired graphic artist for 20 years and never had to go out and get clients. I don't even know where to begin. Door to door? Email? Bids online? Craigslist? It almost seems like too many options to the point that I don't know where to focus my attention.

I went to the library in search of books on the topic, and what I found was horrible outdated. And looking online, I'm seeing mostly varied and generic answers.

And by the way, yes I do all of my graphics using CorelDraw, which is why I am turning to this trusted community for a little guidance. :-)

Thanks in advance, and again, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong spot.

J.

Parents
  • Accroya said:
    So I find myself in the odd predicament of being a skilled graphic artist with no clue on the business end of it. And I need to get more clients.

CorelDRAW can be used for so many things, and that's the great thing about it. :-)

Tip #1 look around your community for garbage graphics. The more you find, the happier you should be.  Since... you have a reason to approach the people have have lousy business cards, web sites, menus, signs, brochures... etc.

Tip # 2 consider some part-time work at a shop or 2 a couple days a week so you don't starve in the meantime. But work in the capacity as a consultant rather than an employee. I've been doing this for a loong time. Some consistent cash flow will result, but you still have lots of time to do your own thing and gather your own clients. For a couple years I worked at home only and it was a little bit lonely. At the shops, you'll have access to capital equipment to "try stuff" and your skills will stay sharp when you are always called upon to deal with things the shops can't handle themselves.

The big thing to remember when getting your own clients: don't let rejection kill your spirit. It's nothing personal. A no today can turn into a yes tomorrow. There are many motivational books you can read to aim you in the right direction. Some of my faves:

• Selling for Dummies
    • Psychology Of Winning
    • Swim With The Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive

plus more...

You live in North America. That means you'll be as successful as you decide to be. If you think there are 10,000 opportunities right before your eyes, you're right. If you think there are 3, you're also right. One's perception of their environment can vary wildly from one person to the next.

After some initial success, for the first time in your life you may taste an existence disconnected from previous irrational fears and subservience. That's a very special feeling, knowing you're standing on your own as a man in country of 300 million, where others will cheerfully stuff wads of cash into your hands in exchange for your skills. It's no different than thousands of years of commerce based around other trades such as shoemakers, bakers, jewelers, carpenters, etc.

Reply Children
No Data