Layers - Still missin' the old days and ways

I've started this post several times and know there are some old discussions regarding. Just curious if it's still a thing with long-time users. FWIW: I started with Ver 3 and currently using X6.

Layers. What's the deal? Ever since X4, when the whole structure and approach was changed, it's been a pain in the, uh, neck.

I thought "Master" meant master, as in this crazy concept: If I create a master layer, whatever I do with that MASTER layer will take place on all the pages of the file.

My example: I am working on a 12-page newsletter. I wanted to add a faux water-mark to all of the pages. So - with my brain still firmly in versions 3 thru 13 - I added a master layer and some faint yet bold text and created a PDF. No problem. Looks great.

I then decide I don't want to see the master layer with the water mark, so I hide it by clicking the little eyeball... I also turn off the printing. But when I went to the next page, it's still there! Anything I want to do for a global change can no longer be done by editing the master layer on one page. For a multi-page document, you have to change the layer attributes INDIVIDUALLY FOR EVERY SINGLE PAGE. Ugh.

This particular example here is only a couple of layers. I pity the poor fool who has some old files with many layers and many pages. I understand - maybe, sort of, oh, not really - that somebody might just want individual layer control on individual pages. (Back in ye olde days, we'd just call 'em "new files.")

Too bad you just can't click a button and revert to "retro" layer control where you can rearrange the layers on one page and it does it to all of the pages... at the same time. Wow.

I guess "Master" don't mean master any more.

Kim Theesen
Molar Artist
Lincoln, NE