Object Manager BUG

I do like to quickly see just layers without objects. There is an option for that in 2018 and has been for many versions, called Current Page Layers Only. This doesn't exist in 2020 (probably 2019 as well but who can check, I certainly can't as its banished)

However if you hover over the layer dropdown arrows used to display or hide objects a tooltip pops up to say Ctrl-Click to collapse all. Great thats what I needed.

Doesn't work. Grrr.

• I wonder why they went to the trouble of coding the tooltip before they coded the action? Stupid. If they'd simply left out the tooltip no-one would have known, we'd have just been annoyed that a useful piece of functionality had disappeared.

Although the functionality may not be what you wish it was, Ctr+Click to "collapse all" or "expand all" does in fact do something different from simply clicking.

If you have a number of things expanded in the hierarchy of Page 1, and simply click on Page 1 to collapse, it collapses at that point - but remembers the collapsed/expanded status of everything that was just hidden in the tree. Click on Page 1 to expand, and it all comes back, just the way it was.

In the same circumstances, Ctrl+Clicking collapses at that point, but also collapses everything in the hierarchy that was just hidden in the tree. Click on Page 1 to expand, and it comes back with everything collapsed.

So, if you wanted to get from that original "lots of stuff expanded on Page 1"  state to "just see the layers on Page 1", you could:

1. Ctrl-Click on Page 1 to "collapse all" from that point on down the tree.
    2. Click on Page 1 to expand it - which will then show just the layers.

You can also Ctrl+Click to "expand all" from any given point on down the tree.

See some of that here, including the scenario I described for getting to "just see the layers of Page 1" in two clicks: