CorelDraw 2021 very slow on certain attribute changes

I experience CorelDraw 2021 being very slow on attribute changes such as fill color, fill type, line width, line type, line color, all transparency attributes, etc.

E.g. changing a line width, after picking the object, and clicking the line width drop down, it takes 10..15 sec just for the drop down to appear. Then picking the desired line width it takes another 10..15 seconds for the new line width to apply. Thus, applying a transparency mode, fill type and percentage takes around a minute. It does not happen always, but more often than not. It seems not to happen with very small files, but I haven't figured out yet what triggers it.

Drawing, changing shapes, moving objects, zooming etc is all very fast.

I am using Win 10 on a HP Z-Station (Xeon Octacore processor, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M5000 graphics card). Hardware performance should not be an issue.

Has anyone an idea whether this behaviour can be improved?

Thanks for any ideas,

Gerhard

• I'm gonna have to investigate this with my 2020 version too. I had to, for different reasons, remove all instances of corel from my system then reinstall 2020. Once I got it all sorted out I started updating my workspace as I always do from the get go. Removing icons, rearranging this and that, setting the default color and such and I did notice that when I would set a color for one outline then select another and use ctrl+r (repeat) the color didn't update right away in the color well. It was only after deselecting and reselecting that shape that the color well would update. I then highlighted some text and couldn't do anything for 30 seconds or so. Setting the default fill for text was a major issue too.Normally all I would do is double-click the fill color of my choice, let the default Dialogue pop up then uncheck object and check Artistic Text and Paragraph Text, hit ok then Save Settings as Default. Start a new page and check it - nope, didn't work. Eventually the system seemed to sort itself out but...

• The problem definitely sounds very unusual, and very intolerable. I would go through the usual trouble-shooting steps of making sure various drivers for video cards and other devices in the system are up to date. If that doesn't solve the problem then the next step would be to uninstall CorelDRAW 2021, clean any traces of it out of the system and then reinstall (and apply any updates).

There are various problems under the hood in CorelDRAW. Some bugs have gone un-fixed across multiple versions, which makes it all the more aggravating just how few bug fix updates have been released over the past few years. A typical version these days may get one "hot fix" update and one point-release update. That's it for the whole year. The "2021.5" moniker of the current version really should be named "2021.1" if not "2021.02". One version cycle of Illustrator will often get around a dozen or more updates; 3 or 4 significant whole point updates and lots of bug-fix/stability updates. CorelDRAW doesn't get that kind of support.

I've seen issues with fonts persist for years. Some styles in a large font family don't show up correct, such as italic fonts being replaced with upright versions and vice-versa. Sometimes font styles are completely missing. The bugs spread to the rest of the computer system affecting fonts visible to other applications. I end up having to close down CorelDRAW when working in rival graphics software. The handling of artistic text blocks and paragraph text blocks in CorelDRAW is not all good. Sometimes the application will really bog down on simple tasks like copying and pasting small strings of text in a paragraph text block. I'm observing these issues even on new computer hardware (an Alienware X17 notebook and Dell XPS 8940 desktop, both with 64GB of RAM, 8-core 11th gen Core i7 CPUs, nVidia RTX 3070 graphics boards and NVMe SSD boot disks). CorelDRAW 2021 is very difficult to stomach when used on old computing hardware.

• Mine crashes the most when using the line tool and I go to select a line color.  Before I do that I always save.  Never had this problem with 5, 12 or cd2017.   I get the blue spinning wheel of death before it happens.  I have tried uninstalling, repairing, completely removing and then reinstalling but always the same result.  Also tried loading it on a different machine with a different cpu and gpu and same result.  So I am going to go out on a limb and say it has nothing to to do with your machine.

• Thank you for your comments.

I did check graphic card drivers and found no newer ones.

Then, I tried first a repair from the Windows Installer (no improvement) and then deinstalled and reinstalled it. Again no improvement. However, I only used the Windows installer for the deinstall, no further tools and I did not touch the registry.

Next thing I'll try is an uninstall using some tool. So far, I was reluctant to do so, because I am not sure what it does to my own files. I can reload them from the backup of course but it is tedious.