When an open curve is Welded /Combined with a closed, filled shape, the open curve also gets filled.

When an open curve is Welded /Combined with a closed, filled shape, the open curve also gets filled. Any way to to get around this? In a complex design it is really hard to figure out which shapes are open or closed due to this behavior.

Parents
  • It appears to me that, if a Curve has a Fill, and it has even one closed subpath, then it renders ALL of the subpaths for that Curve - even if they are open subpaths - as filled.

I am not aware of any way to change that behavior.

In a complex design it is really hard to figure out which shapes are open or closed due to this behavior.

If I am trying to find open subpaths in a single Curve shape, I use VBA macros to find and select those nodes, e.g.:

Sub select_first_open_subpath_end_nodes() - select the Start and End nodes on the first open subpath of a Curve

Sub select_open_subpaths_end_nodes() - select the Start and End nodes of all open subpaths of a Curve

For those subs, I can also display a message box that shows how many open subpaths were found.

I have never tried doing so, but I guess that one could use similar code to examine one or more Curve shapes, and then show the locations of the open subpaths, or of the Start and End nodes of those subpaths, by creating OnScreenCurve shapes.

For my needs, it has been sufficient to just select the nodes. If I wish, I can zoom in to examine selected nodes using my Zoom to Selection Plus macro.

I haven't thought about this much, but for some jobs, it might be useful to have a macro sub that could, if the Start and End nodes of an open subpath were already selected, then select the next open subpath in the curve. That would allow one to "walk through" the open subpaths of a curve, examining each one in turn.

I'm happy to post my code here if you would like to see how I did it. It's nothing particularly elegant.

Reply Children