I plan to buy a tablet for my drawings. Do you have any recommendations? I'm illustrating a children's book, working on a PC.

I plan to buy a tablet.  They are expensive.  I'd like to have the expert's opinion.

• There are pros and cons with whatever you choose. The best stylus and drawing experience is with the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. The Apple Pencil is an exquisite drawing experience. There's a level of smoothness of interface and drawing tools which is not possible with any desktop software/hardware combination.

The best among them are Procreate and Sketchbook 4. Both can create very large 300dpi documents. I routinely work at 15 x 20 inches at 300ppi on my iPad Pro 12.9" and I'm allowed 15 layers with that. Procreate can do this with no problem with performance of drawing brushes or interface at all. It's as fluid as working on a piece of paper on your physical desktop.

Sketchbook 4, although not as supremely smooth as Procreate, can create documents 33" x 33" at 300ppi with no set limitation on layers. Sketchbook is a little more feature rich than Procreate.

Both apps can save as native Photoshop (.psd) with all layers. Also of course basic jpeg, png, etc. Both app cost about 5 or 6 dollars each. Kind of amazingly cheap considering how awesome they are.

On the desktop side of things you probably already know that deskto programs are much more powerful and flexible, but also not nearly as smooth. There are tons of art apps for the desktop but I think the cream of the crop is Clip Studio Paint. It's an app that was designed for Manga professionals. It has incredible drawing and digital painting tools and has an interface that closely mimics Adobe Photoshop. It's far more flexible than the mobile apps, has better drawing tools than Photoshop, and costs only $47.00. Although there is another version with more manga specific features that costs more. The cheaper version has all of the drawing tools. If you choose a Windows tablet PC then I would say that you should definitely look at Clip Studio Paint first.

As for machines, there's the Microsoft Surface Pro, and Surface Book (the laptop with detachable screen). There's also the Samsung Galaxy Book. Which one to get is hard to say. They all run Windows. The Surface devices can be configured with more, or less ram, storage, etc. The Galaxy Book is only 4 gigs of ram and is not expandable. All of them should do well with Clip Studio Paint. There are also other Windows tablets that can be considered.

At the high end is the Wacom devices. The big desktop Cintiqs (I have the 27QHD version), Wacom tablet PCs, and other drawing surfaces. Wacom has a bunch of products on their website. Wacom is generally rather expensive. There are cheaper, similar products from China such as the Huion products. Reviews are always mixed on those but they're a lot cheaper.

The options for hardware are too numerous to point them all out but if you're going to do more than drawing on the device, you're probably looking at the Surface Book, Surface Pro, Samsung Galaxy Book, and other tablet PCs. And Clip Studio Paint I strongly endorse.