Any place we can read up on the updates to CFM in the 2017?

Hopefully there is some kind of documentation on the fixes and updates to CFM for the 2017 version.  I've still not gone on to using it due to the limit on number of fonts.

Would appreciate a link if available.

Suku

Parents
  • Didn't get a straight answer from anyone. So tested and added 60K+ fonts to the database. CFM slows down and performs miserably.
    Therefore CFM is still not usable for people with large font databases.
  • That's what the folder where I store my fonts looks like.  It is a couple decades worth of stuff.  Every clipart, graphics collection or design program cd or dvd I have every had containing fonts went into this folder.  All the downloads from various web sources went into this folder over many years.

Is all of it fonts?  No.  Some of it is freeware, open source, and shareware font utilities.  Most of it is fonts.

Are there duplicates?  Yes, many.  But not a majority.  A guess is about ten percent?

Do I use it fully?  Not really.  It is too much a beast to get a good handle on.  I have a few preferred folders I direct the font manger towards and leave the rest alone.  What it is usefully for, and doesn't happen all that often, is when I receive artwork made with a given font, I have a good starting point to search for a font name, just by doing a file system search.  But otherwise its too big to deal with.  There is no way I am even doing to try to feed all that to CFM.

I would like CFM to be able to see all those fonts and not be reduced in speed to nothing, if not all out crashing.  I would like CFM to find duplicates.  I would like CFM to be able to change folder structure and even write out the files to new locations and folder structures.  

At the bottom of CFM, it says:  "My Fonts: 22418 fonts."  Only 558 are installed. Draw lags a bit with this amount.  I have to filter results to make it usable.  I am sure I could get in the hundreds of thousands plus range if I tried.  I don't want to try.  I want Corel to try and come back to me with warm fuzzies and say, hey guys, try this, we did and its' great.  Corel Font Manager will eat your 100k fonts for breakfast.    I have zero faith it will be anything other than satisfactory, given performance with 20k fonts.  I don't want to test this, you test it Corel.

But I bet I am not all that alone in people that have accumulated massive font collections, and not as atypical as first thought might suggest.

Reply Children