Simulate overprints??

Hi~

Could someone please tell me what the view "Simulate Overprints" does?

Still learning and thank you!

Patty

• this command mess ups and it should be removed as early as possible. It does nothing just shows which colors are kept as overprint fill or overprint outline. Just turned on the overprint fill / overprint and use the command simulate overprint to see the difference.

To the best of my knowledge, this command is leading to so many problems. Most of the users do not know about simulate overprint. I do not use overprint fill / outline, instead us the transparency tool and multiply mode to ahieve the same effect and need not require of turning on or off the command simulate overprint.

Thanking you
  • Patty,

Properly used, the view has purpose. For various purposes, I use overprinting. While I can certainly avoid using the view in CD and just view the PDF in Acrobat, it can avoid the time it takes to publish to pdf and open the pdf. Not that I would design with it turned on, but I may well check my final art (usually destined for screen printing, but not always). It makes it a quick way to check to make sure my strokes are set to overprint--an easy way to fake a trap so a screen print film can more easily register.

Here is a yellow square that is set to overprint. In Enhanced view, you cannot see the effect unless one uses the simulate overprint view.

Here is the sample with Simulate Overprint turned on...

Here is the same rectangles in the PDF as shown by Acrobat:

I didn't take the time to use a real file as most of my overprinting is simply an easy way to trap for screen printing. But I have used it for effect as well. It rips easier than using transparency. But it does have some gotchas if one doesn't understand the print process well enough, or one uses a cheapo printer who opens files in Illy--or CD--to go to film.

Mike

• Patty Powers said:
    Could someone please tell me what the view "Simulate Overprints" does?

It... Simulates Overprints. [:D] Overprinting is quite powerful. I use it in unusual ways, esp. overprinting greyscale bitmaps over top of duotones.