An amateur's advice on color management

Hi Everybody,
      This  post is intended as advice from one amateur photographer to another.  I hope that it doesn't step on an expert's toes.

1.  Use sRGB all the time for everything.  If you bring an Adobe RGB file or a ProPhoto file to the local supermarket, the prints will look washed out.  Ditto for the internet.  That even goes for fancy printing shops.  Just about nobody will know what you are talking about.  It's all about color "space".  (Color "space" is located in Outer Mongolia.)
2.  Stay with the default settings for everything.  Some very smart color scientists have worked everything out for you.  You will need a few college degrees in color just to understand them.. 
3.  Do not calibrate your monitor.  The International Color Consortium (ICM) has worked out how monitors work. Monitor manufacturers have tagged along.  If you change your monitor just to get some nice color on a poor photo, how is anyone else going to know what you did.

Now, just a tiny bit of instruction on color management for beginners who are curious about all the profile talk.  We'll skip the "color space" talk.

The problem is all about digital cameras, monitors, printers, scanners, and worst of all -- computers.  These guys have to communicate with each other to get your photo to the printer.
It would be very nice if your camera could just send a color swatch to the printer for each pixel.  Unfortunately, these guys can only pass around numbers.  So the camera starts off by giving each pixel three colors -- red, green and blue from which you can make about 16 million other colors.  So why can't the monitor and printer use these numbers directly if the ICM color scientists are so smart.  I don't know.  Let me know if you find out.  Meanwhile, the numbers have to be changed to get the same color on the monitor or the printer, etc. that the camera saw.

However, there is a standard numbering system worked out by the CIE back in 1932.  They gave each color three numbers (RGB).  Several derivative numbering systems were later worked out which are more convenient to use -- namely X,Y,Z and Lab. However, they are all based on the original numbers given to each color.
So here's the set up.

The camera or scanner sends its RGB numbers to the computer.  Within the computer is a "profile". This "profile" converts the camera's numbers to the numbers in Lab for each color for each pixel.  The computer then has to send some numbers to the monitor to create the voltages on each LCD pixel.  Again, for reasons that I do not understand, the Lab numbers have to be changed so that the monitor shows the same color as seen by the camera.  Again, this is done with a "profile".
   Ditto for sending the file to a printer.

If you can understand the above, then you are a lot smarter than me.  It took me years to get this far.

Phil