Page size (work area)

I am a sign maker and graphic designer.  When I am designing a sign in Corel Draw X7, to convert to an EPS file for my vinyl printer, is it preferable to make the page size (work area):

1. the same size as the sign I am making;
  2. or bigger so that the design has some white space around it?

I have always made the work area larger than the sign I am designing, so if I was designing a 1000mm x 450mm sign, I would probably make the page size or work area 1100 x 550mm.

When I have created my vector image I then save it as an EPS file for my vinyl printer software driver, and have never had a problem in the past.

Why I ask is that when I send of a pre-press PDF to my wholesale commercial printer (artwork for a pamphlet, for example) the page size has to be exactly the size of the graphic, and that made me wonder what the rest of you do.  If you were designing a graphic whose final size would be 1000mm x 450mm, would you make your work area that size, or bigger?

Many thanks,

James

Parents
No Data
  • Personally I would always set the page size to the exact size of the finished object.

If you do that, then you get various advantages including availability of preset guidelines and the option to export with bleed and/or cropmarks. You can also use imposition if needed.

The only reason for doing something different, as far as I can see, is if you don't know in advance what size the object is going to be. I know some people work that way, but then you have to be more careful when printing and exporting to ensure you get the right part of the design.
Children