Converting a CorelDRAW X3 image for use in X7

I just purchase the full version of X7, because my CorelDRAW X3 was too old to qualify for the upgrade.  Unfortunately the very first time I attempted to open one of my older images I received this beautiful error.

This file was last saved in version 3.0. Files from CorelDRAW 5 and earlier versions are no longer supported and cannot be opened or imported in CorelDRAW version 17.0.

I cannot find any discussions or information on how to migrate these images.  I still have my X3 installation, so I suppose I can export the image into a compatible format of some type.  However, I am really irritated that Corel doesn't seem to have this documented in an easy to find location.  I seem to remember having this problem back when I bought X3 and having to use a third party tool to migrate my older Corel images.  Is there such a tool available today?  (I found one that would convert them to AI format.)

Note to Corel: This is really unprofessional.  You said I couldn't get a discount to upgrade older software, but did not mention that the images would be incompatible and not importable.

Parents
No Data
  • It's kind of surprising CorelDRAW X7 would simply not try to open those kinds of files at all. On the other hand recent versions of CorelDRAW (X6 and X7) have had increasing levels of trouble trying to open files more than a few versions old.

I have a bunch of work files from the late 1990's and early 2000's saved in CorelDRAW 9.0 format. Some of these were saved down to version 9 using CorelDRAW 12 or X3 for backward compatibility with other computers that weren't running the latest version. Whenever I try to open one of these CDR 9 files it causes at least one reoccurring error: a font on my system Abadi Condesned Light gets uninstalled. In X6 I usually have to restart the computer to get the font to come back properly. In X7 on my Win 7 machine at home Abadi Cond. Light will come back once I close the old CDR 9 document.

I guess it would be a good idea to keep an ancient Win XP machine with X3 on it around for opening up old CDR files. Just don't connect it to the Internet.

Adobe Illustrator can open some old CDR files. But some of the results are a bit unpredictable and even risky. A little over a year ago I had to factory reset my work computer after attempting to open a CDR file directly in Illustrator CC. Illustrator crashed and would not re-launch after rebooting or re-installing. If I need to open Corel-generated artwork in Illustrator I always save .AI files from CorelDRAW rather than opening .CDR files in Illustrator.
Children
No Data