SLOW Corel X7!

So, I pull 1200 dpi scanned hand-drawn illustrations/files into DRAW to arrange/layer (whatever it's called. I'm new at this). They are big files (>/= 200mb). I scan with a high dpi so that I can, eventually, print posters of the finished product. Am I supposed to change the file size while working? If so, how? Will it affect the image clarity once I go to print?

• Hello BillR: I don't know what you are going to do with your drawing when you are done, but 300 X 300 is camera ready art, which means MOST of the time you would be able to drop back on your scanner setting, and still have a good picture.

George
  • BillR said:
    So, I pull 1200 dpi scanned hand-drawn illustrations/files into DRAW to arrange/layer (whatever it's called. I'm new at this)

1200 is likely excessive for anything other than 1-bit monochrome. Monochrome is pure black or white pixels only, with no other color depth.

If your originals are grayscale/RGB/CMYK you can likely down-sample your scans to 600 just for the CorelDRAW working file. Then you have some flexibility to scale the image up again during the design process and still have some image integrity. dropping down to 600 from 1200 will give you a file 1/4 the size (not half, since there are 2 dimensions).

Keep in mind the final poster will probably end up as a 300 DPI flattened bitmap. But this depends on what you mean by "poster". A letter-size poster? Or 48" wide by 96 tall?

• We have rolled out CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X8 as a remote desktop service and would like to hear about your user experience - especially accessing the software from MAC, iOS or Android. 30day free trial available for testing here: https://www.apponfly.com/en/corel-draw?KAI Thank you.