Fonts

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

Top 100 Contributor
Frisco, TX
Male
kumorigoe Posted: Tue, Sep 30 2008 9:46

Anyone know why a font will be present in the fonts folder, be available in Illustrator, and yet I can't use it in DRAW?

Also, fonts I've used in the past are now gone, and importing files that used those fonts let the font show in the font drop-down box, with an asterisk next to the font name.  Why? 

Core 2 Q6600 ~ 4GB DDR2 ~ nVidia 8800 GT Superclocked ~ 150GB 10,000 RPM Hard Drive
Top 10 Contributor
Murrieta, California, U.S.
Male

kumorigoe:

Anyone know why a font will be present in the fonts folder, be available in Illustrator, and yet I can't use it in DRAW?

Also, fonts I've used in the past are now gone, and importing files that used those fonts let the font show in the font drop-down box, with an asterisk next to the font name.  Why? 

1.  Fonts available in Illustrator: Probably because those are fonts supplied with Illustrator, from Adobe. And the fonts are not compatible with CorelDRAW.

2.  Do you have the Panrose Font Matching turned on? (Menu->Tools->Options->Text->Fonts and click on "Panrose Font Matching")

HuMJohn aka Hugh Johnson

Top 100 Contributor
Frisco, TX
Male

Font matching is turned on, yes.  And the fonts that Illustrator can access are OpenType and TrueType fonts.  Why should Corel not be able to use them?

As far as trying to get ehm to work, I've gone into Bitstream and installed them that way, and they add to my total installed fonts.  But upon closing Bitstream and reopening it, they aren't there anymore.

Core 2 Q6600 ~ 4GB DDR2 ~ nVidia 8800 GT Superclocked ~ 150GB 10,000 RPM Hard Drive
Top 50 Contributor
St. Albert Alberta Canada
Male
By any chance are those non-western oriented fonts? Some Open Type fonts with Korean support, for example, have the font name encoded in their own language (in the example, Korean). This causes a number of problems for wester oriented system, even including Windows itself. Some fonts will show as gobbledy gook western characters either at the very end or every beginning of font lists in Windows or in Corel Draw, and totally confuse files travelling between different programs (some programs have hooks to intercept such font names and present something sensible internally.)

Does Windows character map show the fonts in question and does it show the Unicode subsets?

kumorigoe wrote:

Font matching is turned on, yes.  And the fonts that Illustrator can access are OpenType and TrueType fonts.  Why should Corel not be able to use them?

As far as trying to get ehm to work, I've gone into Bitstream and installed them that way, and they add to my total installed fonts.  But upon closing Bitstream and reopening it, they aren't there anymore.

http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/p/8927/35628.aspx#35628

Paul McGee St. Albert, Alberta, Canada

Top 100 Contributor
Frisco, TX
Male

Windows Character map shows only the fonts that I can access from DRAW.  It doesn't show the fonts that Adobe can access.

Top 50 Contributor
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Male

Have you had Font navigator search all you hard disks for fonts?

This should fix the strange font problems you have.

Chris

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Well, guess that is fairly conclusive that the fonts are not installed in Windows. Perhaps the Adobe products in question have them embedded in the files, or installs them temporarily on the fly. Windows character map shows all the installed fonts, so if it doesn't see them, Windows and applications won't see them either. This may be similar to the hidden fonts that Adobe Reader invokes on the fly when the fonts are not in the document (one,serif and non serif for western alphabets, simplified and traditional Chinese, Japanese and Korean are all ones that I have encountered in Adobe Reader, so maybe the same approach is what you are encountering.

kumorigoe wrote:

Windows Character map shows only the fonts that I can access from DRAW.  It doesn't show the fonts that Adobe can access.

Top 100 Contributor
Frisco, TX
Male

Chris Wills:

Have you had Font navigator search all you hard disks for fonts?

This should fix the strange font problems you have.

Chris

Yes, I have.  I don't have nearly all of them installed, but I see no reason for not being able to install the ones I want. 

Top 50 Contributor
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Male

kumorigoe:
Yes, I have.  I don't have nearly all of them installed, but I see no reason for not being able to install the ones I want.

Can you see them in the font catalogue (Left Hand Panel) after it has scanned all your hard disks?

If the fonts are multi-master Adobe fonts, you will not be able to use them in Draw or any other windows applications except Adobe apps. Be very careful with multiple-master fonts, even Adobe products will crash and burn when using them. I would remove them from my system.

Frank Olivio
AmiGraphics

Top 100 Contributor
Frisco, TX
Male

Chris Wills:

kumorigoe:

Can you see them in the font catalogue (Left Hand Panel) after it has scanned all your hard disks?

Yes, I can see them in the left hand panel, and after installing them, I see them in the right hand panel.  But if I close Bitstream and then open it again, they have disappeared from the right hand panel.

As for them possibly being Adobe Multi-Master Fonts, how can I tell if that is the case?

Top 75 Contributor
Puebla, México
Male
Mosh replied on Fri, Oct 3 2008 10:15

Frank,

correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember that MM fonts had another extension to them. The issue here is about .otf's

Kumorigoe, are those problematic fonts bought from a known foundry? Were they free internet fonts? Could you write their names down?

_mosh

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Have you tried the "manual" install of (one) of those fonts using the standard Windows procedure (i.e. from the control panels > fonts > install font)? Theoretically should not make a difference but......

And after that do they stick around? And can they be seen in Windows Character Map? I ask this because there is something really strange that I, too, have encountered in certain fonts supporting East Asian languages, that, it seems, causes Windows itself to arbitrarily just discard them at seemingly random times and for no apparent reason. It does seem to tie in to discarding the visible font name (in western characters) and it resuming its name in Korean or Chinese or Japanese, which than shows up somewhere in the font list, as either scrambled western characters or "boxes" or a mixture of both. As far as  can see this is mostly a Willy Gates problem.

kumorigoe wrote:
Chris Wills:
kumorigoe:

Yes, I can see them in the left hand panel, and after installing them, I see them in the right hand panel.  But if I close Bitstream and then open it again, they have disappeared from the right hand panel.

As for them possibly being Adobe Multi-Master Fonts, how can I tell if that is the case?

Top 100 Contributor
Frisco, TX
Male

The main font that I would like to have back is Trajan Pro.  Others include Myriad, Futura, and several of the Garamond fonts.

The fonts are in the Windows Font folder, and installing them through windows makes no difference.  I tried deleting them and installing them from the Adobe folder where they also are, to no avail.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.