Font list has become unuseable - any suggestions for a fix?

I'm using X8 on a Dell PC running Win 10. Core i7 4790 processor, 16gb ram and a Radeon R200 series video card.

A couple of weeks ago, the font list in my Property Bar started working really slowly - it would take forever to scroll through the list of fonts, jerking from one to another.  Now, I have to wait several seconds for the list to even appear when I click on the down arrow beside the currently selected font, and can virtually not scroll through the list at all.  The Text Properties docker is the same too. This makes CorelDraw pretty much unusable for me - how am I meant to create a document if I can't select any fonts?

I tried starting Font Manager X8 while holding down the F8 key as per another post, and reset it to default as well as resetting the databases.  That made no difference to the performance in Draw (although my Windows Fonts folder now only shows 746 fonts, rather than the 1483 I had before resetting - and yes, I backed up my fonts folder first!)

Anyone know of a fix for this?  I don't really want to go back to Draw X7, and am loath to fork out more cash to upgrade to the 2017 version, which for all I know is an even crappier program than X8.