Has Corel's pricing skyrocketed?

I just received an email that informed me that my CorelDraw Suite monthly subscription has almost TRIPLED!

I thought this must surely be in error and went to Coreldraw.com to see the latest pricing... has Corel gone bonkers? Are they actually TRYING to drive people towards Adobe products?

Both the once-off and subscription prices have escalated enormously. I don't think I'll be able to justify using Corel over Adobe to the boss anymore, especially after the v2019 fiasco where we literally found the software useless and a danger to productivity due to all the bugs...

Shouldn't Corel Corp be mending fences instead of burning bridges?

Parents Reply
  • Allot of the  graphic software today does cool stuff but only for digital output and the screen, the print sucks but it's good enough because the end user does not know any better.

I suppose the cool software you're referring to is something like Affinity Designer.  It's a consumer product, and consumer products never were serious about much beyond basic illustration tools.  Serif has been making products exactly like that for 30 years so nothing has really changed.  Anyone looking to make a professional product will know that they would need support for professional workflows and formats.  The real problem is that nobody has made anything like Adobe or Corel in decades.

I think though, that Corel has made the same calculation as Adobe.  If they jack up their prices or go subscription only, customers are stuck with nowhere to go.  Adobe and Corel are unique enough that you can't easily replace one with the other, but even if you could, there's enough money to go around for both, especially with subscription income.  Corel tested the waters for a couple years to see how people would warm up to subscriptions, then they dove in.  Adobe only needed 1 year to go from optional, to subscription only.  At the very least though, I have zero complaints about Adobe quality whereas I stopped buying Coreldraw at X4 because I saw at that point that there was no hope that Corel would do better.

Children