Opening Really Old Versions of Corel Files

I'm running CorelDRAW 2022 on a Windows 10 Home 64-bit machine with 16 GB RAM. I have some old files I created back in 1994 with CorelDRAW 4 (4.04) and 5 (5.1). I would like to open them and save them in a more modern version but 2022 doesn't go back that far. I actually have my original CorelDRAW 5 install CDs and product key, but the application won't install with my modern operating system. I'd prefer not to have to set up a whole different machine with Windows 98 or XP, but let's assume I do. My questions are:

* Assuming I can open these files in CorelDRAW 5, what file format can I save them in that will allow me to open them with CorelDraw 2022?
* Does anyone know a way I can bypass that hassle and somehow import the old files in CorelDRAW 2022?

* Are there any utilities (not by Corel) that would allow me to open and/or convert these old files?

Thanks all!

• I think it is absolutely ridiculous modern versions of CorelDRAW have no way at all to open or import CorelDRAW files made in versions 1 thru 5. It was bad enough in the 1990's when they cut off support for CDR files made in versions 1 and 2. CorelDRAW really took off in popularity on the Windows platform with version 3. There is a significant number of CorelDRAW users who have archived files made in versions 3-5. What's next? Cut off file support for CDR files made in version 9 and earlier? The people making these decisions to cut off support of old files are doing so without any regard to the archived files of long time CorelDRAW users. It's a very onerous policy.

Contrast this with Adobe Illustrator. The very latest builds of Illustrator can open AI files made in ANY prior version of Illustrator. There's none of this baloney of cutting off file support of old versions. You can still run into technical problems involving fonts, like if a 1990's era AI file used Type 1 Multiple Master fonts. But at least the file can open and live fonts can be changed to substitutes. I don't like it that Adobe is fixing to remove Postscript Type 1 font support and built-in Pantone color books. But they're not removing support of whole file versions.

Inkscape is the only graphics application I can think of that has a CorelDRAW CDR import filter. It can import early versions of CorelDRAW files. However the results can be pretty sketchy.

• Might be a bit late if you've already settled on a solution, but to add to the discussion, we have the same issues here. Started using version 4 in the 90s and still have some old v4 files around. Installing v15 (X5 - the X was added on version 13 because some marketing peon thought 13 was unlucky so they better change it to X instead, so stupid) might work for some things but v4 files are especially problematic. We have a setup on a windows 10 machine with v12 installed (actually looks like v11 might work also but we had v12 handy, don't think v10 will work on win10) that handles the old files a bit better, especially text on a path which can really get messed up on old files even if the file opens in modern versions like v23 (2021 - again, let's just drop the pretense of giving versions model years like cars, it's also stupid). So, opening in v12 *usually* fixes that, then opening in v23 gets you results that are close to correct. But, some v4 files refuse to open in v12 even, sometimes you get something, but pieces might be missing or out of position and text is anyone's guess as to what you might get. Some v4 files might just crash v12 outright, it blinks and goes away and you're back at the desktop. 

The only option I can think of in these cases is to either install a windows 98 virtual machine and install version 6 or 7 on it and try it that way. You can create a virtual machine install for low or no cost but results may vary and it's not trivial, look up youtube videos on how to do it, I haven't actually tried it yet, as the files in question aren't super critical. The other more expensive option is to build or buy an actual windows 98 or equivalent physical machine and install v6 or v7 on it. I say 6 or 7 as those are the oldest versions that v23 or newer can open, and *should* open the old files with fewer problems. Probably v7 might be the better choice as v6 was created for windows 95 and was the first foray into the new versions of windows and had some issues. Version 7 was a bit more stable, saying that, v8 or v9 would probably also be OK, the question being which one has the best luck opening the version or specific file you are looking to open.