using the correct black for print?

hello pros out there... I am quite new to print design.  when designing for print, do  I choose the black ( c:0, y:0, m:0, K:100), but on screen this black looks a bit greyish. Am I doing it right? any  advice for this newbie.. thank you. 

Parents
  • Hi Danny.

Yes the black only k: 100 will look greyish on screen but if printing with a good print shop should be black on paper. You will hear phrases like super black, strong black and others these typically mean the black for text and large black areas outside photos have had Cyan added from 10 to 50% . Talk to your printer for advice, they may or may not be able to handle this depending on the process they use.  The best results for text are to use  K = 100 it will always register and if reversing text out of black try and avoid doing it out od 4 color blacks even digital system will shoe slight halos of Poor registration on type.

Remember no matter how you design in color as RGB or cmyk all printing is done using cmyk and it is possible to create colors in RGB that won't convert to cmyk accurately and Pantone spot colors are mixed pigments that also don't always translate you can buy a pantone Plus bridge book that shows the original pantone color with the closest possible cmyk conversion the book is not cheap but it can prevent misunderstanding with clients and printers.

If you are sending files out for printing start by talking to some printers and choose to work with some who can guide you to what is best for them.  

Your best bet is to form a good working arrangement with local printers You will learn a great deal and understand the print process. Your printer will thank you and if you work well with them also likely refer business to you.

There are a ton of printers in the business who hate designers because they are sent files that look great on screen but don't print well.

Good luck learning 

ross blair

Reply Children
No Data