RAM and Best Graphics Card for CD X6 / X7

G'day

We do a lot of artwork that contain small very detailed items.  One such file contains in excess of 340k Objects, and some have even more.  Screen refresh times become an issue whenever trying to do *anything*.

Currently running Win7-SP1 (64BIT), i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, 256GB-SSD.

Whilst a general performance improvement is always good, for improved video performance specifically, would I be better to:

_____(a) upgrade to 16GB RAM

_____(b) install a Quadro (K1100M? K2100M?) graphics card

_____(c) both

Regards
Geoff

Parents
  • Hi Jeff,

Just a few design related thoughts to think about...

1) Are you able to combine objects where possible? Rather than having lots of individual objects, you can combine several objects into one unit. This will speed up manual duplication too.

2) Are you reducing the number of nodes on the original design as much as possible (to retain fidelity) before duplicating?

3) Are you working THROUGH the network rather than locally on the machine (especially for auto backup)? This can kill your workflow and slow down the computer drastically.

4) In your Coreldraw Options...Tools > Options > Display you may wish to check Interruptible Refresh and possibly uncheck Show PostScript fills in enhanced view as well as Antialias bitmaps in enhanced view. You can also experiment with the Manual refresh checkbox to see if it makes a difference.

5) When working, try using draft view, normal view or outline view instead of enhanced view on screen.

6) Consider using symbols in your designs. Please go here and read (a Google Books excerpt from Coreldraw x3 Unleashed by Foster D. Coburn) and read from page 332 on what Symbols are and how to use them. http://books.google.ca/books?id=9OTV1YNLLBsC&pg=PA335&lpg=PA335&dq=coreldraw+symbols&source=bl&ots=2ECmqFw08x&sig=1w9cEA30nNNwkQSiItazZQYzvbk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-F0HVIjNMIn2iwKr6YDYAQ&ved=0CEEQ6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=coreldraw%20symbols&f=false

7) Look into creating vector pattern fills (or even bitmap fills) for a container object with no outline. All kinds of transformations can be applied.

By the way, from your list, I'd pick option (A) over the graphics card. The more RAM you have, the better. 64-bit Coreldraw can benefit from the increased RAM. It's a cheap upgrade in the bigger picture. If that doesn't help performance then I would investigate a graphics card update. I'd talk with the store first and find out about their return policy, they may let you even demo it for a few days as long as the packaging is decent. Also, make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card from the manufacturer. Do not use the graphics drivers from Windows Update - EVER. I've hosed several machines using Windows Driver Updates for my video card. I get my drivers directly from the manufacturer's website now and hide these updates in Windows Update.

Hope this is somewhat useful...

Reply Children
No Data