Aligning to baseline grid

I have been creating a 3 column magazine using Coreldraw x7. There are many times that I have to align my body text to  the baseline grid especially when wrapping text around images or objects. Text does align to baseline grid EXCEPT text in the first line of the second and third columns where the text hangs above the baseline grid line. See pictures below. Even after removing images and objects,  aligning to baseline grid produces the same flaw.

Help me plz!!

BEFORE (picture above) and AFTER (Below)

After removing the Drop cap and snapping the text frames to the baseline grid .... no changes. (BELOW)

Parents Reply
  • Hello Heeren,

Thanks for the new file and work-flow.

The baseline is affected the instant an object with wrap precisely touches the text frame.

I don't use CorelDraw for such purposes (layout). I do know that in many/most layout applications that I use in the course of my work (4 across multiple versions of each), recycling layouts have gone corrupt enough one reads posts on the various forums. Though rare, templates (the better practice for new publications) have also been reported to have gone wonky from after upgrading application versions and using them.

I do note that a single frame with 3 columns does not seem affected no matter where an object with wrap is placed.

To be perfectly honest, I cannot imagine using CorelDraw for layout. It is counter-intuitive, nothing about paragraph control works like any layout application I have used since 1989, and the lack of baseline grid control (per frame, page, document) is something I would have difficulty dealing with. That all aside from being incredibly slow in such publications. I get it that many people do use CD for such publications and books even. But it (using a graphic design application) has to be about the slowest means of building a publication there is.

I hope Tony can find the cause of this weirdness.

Children