Fades & Half Tones

Hi Guys

I recently started working with a screen printer, re-drawing the scraps of paper his customers give him into nice clean vector art. But I am struggling with my half tones.

What is the best was to create a half tone for screen printing?

This is the image, it will be a one colour (white) print on a black t-shirt. I just need to get my half tones correct or it will look like crap!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Parents
  • Aleem Ashraf said:

Hi NC, The "Bitmap>Color Transform>Halftone" doesn't give the right kind of dots for screen printing, Screen Printers like Pure Monochormic dots which are generated by PS and Black & White dialog in corel as you've suggested.

Hi Aleem, With all due respect, I have to disagree with you on this one. It totally depends on the type of look you are going for. I didn't want to see all the detail in the original cassette, rather I wanted to create the obvious dot pattern that you see on your monitor.  The dots created using this method, in pure monochrome ( Bitmap>Mode>B/W>Line Art), will actually burn on most types of screens with no problems.  You won't need to do anything special with your postscript device other than output.  No RIP, no angles or line frequencies to worry about, just print the b/w image right to paper or film. In fact, you don't even need a PS printer at all!  You can use a plain old ink jet to make your film.  It's pure black & white now, so everything you see on the screen and in the design will print to film and burn to the screen just as it is.  This addresses fountain (gradient) fills, and shades of gray (or other colors) which screenprinters are rarely able to achieve with decent results.

Will you still see those dots on the finished product? Absolutely! That's the whole point behind my last demo.  It's about the graphic quality of the dots, and being able to see the dot pattern clearly.  This style is quite popular here in the U.S. , and is especially useful when creating more vintage designs. I use the same technique to create dot patterns for traditional printing, or even for web graphics. It may produce a unique effect from what you're used to doing in your business, but trust me, it does work for screenprinting, and gives the artist control over the dot size and look, rather than leaving it in the hands of the screenprinter.  Their vision is rarely ever the same as the artists!  I could even take it a step further and trace it back into b/w vector art! That's what screenprinters really want... Black & White vectors.  If you like, I'll send you a camera ready PDF vector file for you to burn and try it out. You will be amazed at how cool and graphic it looks when you see the image appear just as it is in the example.

I realize there are many other ways to create dot patterns for halftones, as I have previously written about. But not that will produce these same results. It is just one way to create the dot pattern yourself, which you can see on your monitor, a unique look that a screenprinter probably would not make with a PS device.

• Reply Children