Protexis Licensing "DRM"

The Protexis Licensing applications running on my Windows 7 machine have been present since I installed CorelDRAW X5 a couple years back. What bothers me is that, according to reports,  this is more than just DRM, but something that monitors how I use my computer and reports this information back to . . . someone.

I want it removed or disabled.

I can't be the first person to want or do this; a simple Google search is what led me here. I've read that uninstalling this spyware disables Corel Photo Shop Pro, but I don't have that software, obviously.

I would like to know if any of you have disabled it. I've read doing so does not affect the CorelDRAW suite, but I want to be certain.

Thanks!!!

Parents
  • This board is a hotbed of activity....

Obviously, I'm not the only person wanting to do this, because I can find any number of articles about disabling this spyware. My problem has been that all of them are inaccurate or unintelligible.

I have done my homework on the files associated with my install:

PsiService_2.exe
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Protexis\License Service\PsiService_2.exe

PSIKey-03000201.dll
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Protexis\License Service

PsiClient.dll
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5\CdrConv
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5\Connect
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5\Draw
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5\PHOTO-PAINT

Again, I bought a boxed copy of X5 about three years ago. I've been with Corel since the days of floppy disks, so this is not about supporting Corel—it's about maintaining the performance of my computer. I've read Gerard's blog entry on the subject; regardless, I have to ask the obvious question: If Protexis exists only to verify registration information during installation, why does it remain active thereafter?

Reply Children
No Data