connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

Convert"text on a path" to a Curv

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 16 Replies | 5 Followers

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

Compusupplies posted on Wed, Feb 11 2009 9:50

I created a path and fitted text to that path and everthing looks great.  I now want to convert it to a curve.  When I do so the text tuns into the curve but no longer follows the path.  It is now a straight line.  It seems simple enough but I can't figure it out.  Why doesn't it keep to the path when I convert it to a curve?   If this can't be done is there a way to fit the "curve" text to a path without having to minipulate each letter at a time?    It seems like a simple task and it's driving me nuts.

Thanks

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
Southeast Texas, USA
Male
Verified by Graewerld

Compusupplies:

I created a path and fitted text to that path and everthing looks great.  I now want to convert it to a curve.  When I do so the text tuns into the curve but no longer follows the path.  It is now a straight line.  It seems simple enough but I can't figure it out.  Why doesn't it keep to the path when I convert it to a curve?   If this can't be done is there a way to fit the "curve" text to a path without having to minipulate each letter at a time?    It seems like a simple task and it's driving me nuts.

Thanks

Are you using Paragraph Text? That will cause your outcome. You need to use Artistic Text or convert the Paragraph text to Artistic text before using Fit to Path.

Jack

Lately, I have too much month left at the end of the money!

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Melbourne
Male

Hi Compu,

I have been trying to reproduce your results and have been unable to do so. I created a path, fitted some text to it and then clicked Ctrl+Q (Convert to Curves). The text was converted to curves and stayed where it was. I could then click on the curve and delete it.

I tried this several times, sometimes leaving the text sitting on the path and other times with the text at a distance from the path (but still fitted to the path) and everything worked fine each time. I am sorry I have not offered any help here, but at least you know it is not a general bug in CorelDraw X4.

Brian Melbourne

That's for responding.   OK...  I made a line with the Bezier tool and curved it using the shape tool.   Then I created some text and fitted the text to the path.   Everything thus far is great.   Then I do the Ctrl+Q and it separates the text and the arc and reformats the text in a straight line.     Is this the exact same thing you did and yours worked ie..  text stayed in arc shape and was converted to curve?

Thanks for all the help. 

replied on Thu, Feb 12 2009 9:40

No problem here either.

After converting to curve, the text remains as it is.

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

sorry, I can't reproduce this error. I try diferent ways, with open and closed curves, and different fonts and sizes....

Are you sure if it's not a problem with some font?

Ariel Garaza Díaz

Works perfectly here. Text is converted to curves and remains curved along the path.

Like the others, I can't reproduce your problem, on my end.

Question..........do you get the same result if you Ctrl+K  (break text apart from path) first? And then Ctrl+Q  to convert to curves?

Diane Jersey Girl
I wonder if somehow Ctrl+Q is broken for you. Did you try using the menu
command instead of the keyboard command?
joan

Compusupplies wrote:
> That's for responding. OK... I made a line with the Bezier tool and
> curved it using the shape tool. Then I created some text and fitted
> the text to the path. Everything thus far is great. Then I do the
> Ctrl+Q and it separates the text and the arc and reformats the text in a
> straight line. Is this the exact same thing you did and yours worked
> ie.. text stayed in arc shape and was converted to curve?
>
> Thanks for all the help.
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/p/11319/46271.aspx#46271
>

I have the same problem and I'm using Corel Draw X5. Is this a bug in X5?

Top 10 Contributor
Melbourne
Male

Hi Unity,

nope, still works fine in X5. Seems weird that it failed you in X4 and X5, so I guess that leads to a question: did you import your X4 workspace into X5? If so, that may be your issue. I wonder if you had a corrupt workspace in X4 which affected Converting to Curves for some reason, and you have brought that issue across to X5.

If you restart your computer holding down the F8 key and click ok to the warning that you will be reverting to the default workspace and lose any customisations....then try creating some new text on a path and converting to curves...does that work?

Best regards,
Brian.

Brian Melbourne

Top 25 Contributor
Southeast Texas, USA
Male
Verified by Graewerld

Compusupplies:

Thanks

Are you using Paragraph Text? That will cause your outcome. You need to use Artistic Text or convert the Paragraph text to Artistic text before using Fit to Path.

Jack

Top 25 Contributor
Olympia, WA, USA
Male

I used both Artistic AND Paragraph text in a test and in version 11.  Not the issue!

Let not the one who says it can't be done interrupt the one who is doing it.

Top 25 Contributor
Olympia, WA, USA
Male

When I tried it in X4 though, the test failed.  used Paragraph Text and as soon as I entered CTRL + Q, the text straightened itself.  Jack Ross is correct -- you need to use Artistic text in order to maintain the curve.  Why this changed from 11 to X4, I have no idea. Confused

Let not the one who says it can't be done interrupt the one who is doing it.

Top 25 Contributor
Southeast Texas, USA
Male

Graewerld:

When I tried it in X4 though, the test failed.  used Paragraph Text and as soon as I entered CTRL + Q, the text straightened itself.  Jack Ross is correct -- you need to use Artistic text in order to maintain the curve.  Why this changed from 11 to X4, I have no idea. Confused

Hi Graewerld.

X3 results are the same as X4 in this instance. Convert to Curves causes the Paragraph Text to to straighten.

Jack

Jack

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.