connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

how to create a color to spot color in x6

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

pkg_sriram posted on Mon, Mar 26 2012 1:55

I have been looking for a command to define a shortcut for the spot color to the selected element.  But i could not figure out.  Can anybody help me how to covert the selected element into spot color here in x6

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Sweden
Male

pkg_sriram:
how to covert the selected element into spot color here in x6
I assume you have an object with a CMYK or RGB color, that you want to change into a spot color, right?

Make sure this color gets added to a palette, maybe it's already been added to the Document palette.
Click the little arrow button on the palette and select Edit color from the menu.
Select the color swatch inside the dialog and then choose Treat as: Spot.

This swatch will now appear and separate as a spot color.

/Ronny

“The ability to think differently today from yesterday distinguishes the wise man from the stubborn”
John Steinbeck

I know this way is very annoying to simply define to spot or to process.  There should be a shorcut to toggle to spot and process color.

These developers  should never listen

moreover the name says document paletter but it stores all the unused colors as well. Very disgusting one i think.  It should be removed and should only keep the document colors.  Now how can we global change the color since color style is renovated and i did not find to globally change the color in a document ?

Top 10 Contributor
Sweden
Male

pkg_sriram:
There should be a shorcut to toggle to spot and process color.
Fair enough, but you should know it is much, much easier now than it used to be some versions ago.
pkg_sriram:
No offense, but if they should listen to and try to incorporate everyone of your ideas, then the rest of us wouldn't recognize CorelDraw at all any more. ;-)
They do listen but that doesn't mean that each and every one of us get what they want.

/Ronny

“The ability to think differently today from yesterday distinguishes the wise man from the stubborn”
John Steinbeck

Top 10 Contributor
Sweden
Male

pkg_sriram:
moreover the name says document paletter but it stores all the unused colors as well.
There are options in the Document palette menu, whether to Automatically update or not (I personally prefer not), and to add colors from selected or document. These options make it easier to get the colors you want, and then you can always edit to your liking.
If you don't like the Document palette at all, simply close it.
pkg_sriram:
color style is renovated and i did not find to globally change the color in a document ?
Color styles can easily be changed to different color modes or spot colors (button, top right in docker) and in combination with Color Harmonies (new X6 feature) you can probably achieve what you want.

/Ronny

John Steinbeck

hi ronny 

so glad of your quick response.  I feel document palette is of no use.  it is useful, for instance red is existed in the doucment palette if i convert that red color into spot color then in the doucment also reflects and if i hold Ctrl and click on the same red then it changes globally...something like

I myself did not find any use of document palette

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

pkg_sriram:
Can anybody help me how to covert the selected element into spot color here in x6

Ctrl+F6 (Color Styles) / Convert to Spot (top right corner of the docker)

Also you can do it in the Color docker ("add to sport colors palette") and also you can do it in the Document Palette itself (Palette menu / edit color, choose "treat as..." and change from CMYK to SPOT) 

pkg_sriram:
moreover the name says document paletter but it stores all the unused colors as well. Very disgusting one i think.  It should be removed and should only keep the document colors. 

Choose under the Palette menu "Restore palette". 

pkg_sriram:
Now how can we global change the color since color style is renovated and i did not find to globally change the color in a document ?

if you don't use Color styles for a global change, just go to Edit / find a replace / replace color

pkg_sriram:

As you can see, those options already exists. Perhaps is not how you dream about it, bus the option exists, sometimes several options for the same change, and that shows that the developers listen all request. 

Ariel Garaza Díaz

arielgaraza.com

Top 10 Contributor
Sweden
Male

pkg_sriram:
I myself did not find any use of document palette
Then simply close it.
Color Styles will probable do what you need.

/Ronny

John Steinbeck

I have tried that procedure many times and it simply does not work when Publishing a PDF.

For example:

1) I add a CMYK color to the document palette (eg., to use as a die line)

2) select that color in the document palette

3) click on little arrow at left side of the palette and select Edit Color to open the Palette Editor

4) the Palette Editor now displays "Document Palette" in the drop down list, the document's colors and the current color as the "Selected Color"

5) I give it a name and select "Treat as: Spot"

6) publish document as a pdf using "Prepress" as the PDF Preset and it DOES NOT separate as a spot color.

I have tried all combinations of PDF Preset values and none have resulted in this, or any "Spot Color" I created, actually separating as a spot color when opened in Acrobat pro X.

It will, however separate Pantone Colors correctly.

X6 appears to use the "Components:"  value to determine if and how that same color is treated as a spot color or not.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Top 10 Contributor
London UK

Just to check, do you have the X6.4 update?

I did report a problem with spot separations a few months ago, which I thought had been fixed.

As far as I can remember, the error may have been in the palette rather than the exporting -- so you would need to delete the colour and recreate it in X6.4 to be sure you are giving it a fair test.

I am using version 16.4.0.1280. Win 7 64-bit.

I created 2 cdr test files just prior to writing the post, then published pdfs --  to make sure.
Same issues for both. 

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

K. 

Top 10 Contributor
London UK

I looked at the previous posts and at the bottom of http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/p/41921/199521.aspx#199521 it seems that the problem was fixed for creating EPS files, but still exists when creating PDF.

I think if you read that post and the thread that contains it you have two possible ways to resolve the problem. But if that doesn't make sense, post again and I'll try to remember the details.

After changing to treat as spot, select the item again (if not selected) and click on the swatch again. Should output to PDF correctly.

Top 10 Contributor
Sweden
Male

MikeWe is probably right. You must make sure the objects get the new spot color.
Changing a color swatch from CMYK to spot doesn't automatically give objects with that color the new spot color.

/Ronny

John Steinbeck

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.