What causes an invalid fill id?

I just started using corel x5 and EVERY time I put an outline on an object, (always 9 points thick) the next time I re-poen the file it says I have an invalid fill id and it makes my outline hairline thin and the default stroke color. It is driving me crazy!!! help!!

win 7 64 bit

12 Replies - Latest Reply

• Are you using a custom spot color for the outline color?

Steve
    www.brutefish.com
  • In reply to Brute-Fish:

Hi

I've experienced the same invalid fill id problem since installing x5 but only occasionally, and only after saving to an earlier version. The only other common factor I can think of is of that it often occurs when I've used the contour tool. The width and colour of line vary.

If I'm expecting to open on an earlier version I convert the outline to an object.

Colin 

Brute-Fish
    Are you using a custom spot color for the outline color?

Steve
    www.brutefish.com

I am using a custom palette that I made myself

• In reply to colin frajbis:

colin frajbis

Hi

I've experienced the same invalid fill id problem since installing x5 but only occasionally, and only after saving to an earlier version. The only other common factor I can think of is of that it often occurs when I've used the contour tool. The width and colour of line vary.

If I'm expecting to open on an earlier version I convert the outline to an object.

Colin 

I always save everything I do as version 12, because other people also need to access the files and they don't all have 15. But i don't personally open them in 12. I make them in 15, reopen them in 15, and get the invalid  id outline error in 15.

Also, it doesn't only happen with the contour tool. Actually i don't think it ever has. It's always on the simplest things, such as a stroke around a square that is achieved by right clicking a color on the palette.

• In reply to Marisa:

I believe the custom palette is probably the cause. Does it happen to be
    a spot color you created? I get this same issue occasionally when using
    a custom palette I created using Sherwin Williams paint colors. Each one
    is defined as a spot color. Saving down to an earlier version where the
    color palettes are saved in a different format is most likely the cause
    since I was doing this early on. Now that I have upgraded the other
    workstations I haven't seen this issue.

In my case, opening the file didn't cause any issues if I chose ignore.
    Also, you could use a macro like Oberon Color Replacer to swap out the
    color through the whole document quickly in needed.

Steve
    www.brutefish.com

I have been working with graphics programs since 2001 and have been seeing the term "spot color" ever since then and I still don't know what that is. I don't know how I have managed all these years.

• In reply to Marisa:

Lesson 10 in my book gives the full description. Smile emoticon

In short, it is a fixed color rather than one mixed from multiple colors. The most popular supplier of spot inks would be Pantone. In CorelDRAW, spot colors are indicated by a very small white square in the color swatch.

• In reply to FosterCoburn:

FosterCoburn
    Lesson 10 in my book gives the full description. Smile emoticon

In short, it is a fixed color rather than one mixed from multiple colors. The most popular supplier of spot inks would be Pantone. In CorelDRAW, spot colors are indicated by a very small white square in the color swatch.

Okay, then it this case, I am NOT using spot colors.

• In reply to Marisa:

Marisa,

What color are you using? Just because it isn't Pantone, doesn't mean it isn't spot. That is just the most popular spot color.

• In reply to FosterCoburn:

FosterCoburn
    Marisa,

What color are you using? Just because it isn't Pantone, doesn't mean it isn't spot. That is just the most popular spot color.

No, I mean, they don't have the little white square in the corner, which I have seen before, but not on this particular palette I'm using.

• I recently had the "invalid fill ID" pop up on opening a particular file (CorelDRAW X5, Win7, 64-bit). While Retry did open the file (without any apparent problem), I did want to fix it. This problem remained after I used the original installation disc to perform a "Repair." 

The above consensus that it is a color setting seems to be correct if the cure confirms the illness. I found an old answer that fixed my file. Below is the direct quote, then I'll "translate" to what I did in X5:

File (drive letter:\\filename.cdr) contains an Invalid Outline ID or Invalid Fill ID
    Cause of Error
    The color styles saved for the file you are trying to open are corrupted.
    Solution Summary
    Open the file and click 'Ignore'. Select 'Color Styles...' from the 'Layout' menu. Right-click and select 'Delete' for each color style that appears. Select 'Save' from the 'File' menu.

Solution Details
    1) Open the file again in CorelDRAW 7. (The 'File contains an Invalid Outline ID or Invalid Fill ID' error appears.)
    2) Click 'Ignore'.
    3) Select the 'Layout' menu and select 'Color Styles...'. (The 'Styles' dialog box appears.)
    4) Click the 'Colors' tab.
    5) Right-click on the first color style that appears and select 'Delete' from the pop-up menu that appears.
    6) Repeat step 4) for each of the color styles that appears for that graphic.
    7) Close the 'Styles' dialog box.
    8) Select the 'File' menu and select 'Save'. (The next time this file is opened, the error message will not appear.)

Applies to Software Version: CorelDRAW 7.0  http://goo.gl/SMFEp 

What I did in CorelDRAW X5:

Layout | Page Setup | Document | Styles | expand Default Graphic, then untick Fill and Outline, then click OK

After that, I used Save As with a different filename as an extra precaution. My renamed file opened like normal.

Good Luck

[edited by: StephTech at 0:23 (GMT -5) on Wed, Aug 17 2011]
  • In reply to StephTech:

Several things can cause the error message on open. Saving to an older version is one, since the handle of nodes is different. Copy/paste from other programs (such as internet explorer) is other common reason. If you have too much "color Styles (under the Tools menu) or saved Views (Ctrl+F2) can cause this message too. With the ServicePack 3 of X5 you have a new icon for delete automatically all color styles.