Saving fails continuously

Never had this problem before and been using Coreldraw Graphics suite X5 for a few years.

I can create a new file, save it, maybe re-save once but after that saving fails.

The little floppy diskette icon has an orange exclamation mark on it. When hovering over it the words "Background Tasks" appear, and when I click on the icon a message pops up "Saving Document Failed:"

So I try and close the file and a dialogue box pops up giving the same message "Saving Document Failed". I click on the OK button in that dialog box then the "Save Drawing" box pops up.

So I try and re-save using the "Save Drawing" dialogue box and am given the message the file already exists and do I want to overwrite it. I click yes and the file apparently saves.

Next I try and close the file again but back on the merry go round we go, the "Saving Document Failed" dialog box is back again.

So basically I cannot save, nor can I close Coreldraw because it keeps going round in this endless loop. I have to forcefully shut down Coreldraw via Task Manager every time.

I have Googled the matter and the main reason seems to be large / complicated files. This is not the problem in my case. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the application, then I have created a brand new file, and done nothing but a few hexagons and the problem remains.

I'm therefore thinking it is something on the PC side but have no idea where to start.

Using Windows 7 32 bit.

I also tried turning off my antivirus after a recommendation but that didn't stop the problem.

Another message I got when trying to close Coreldraw was:

Some of the documents could not be closed, because some tasks that were being performed in the background have failed. Check the status bar of each opened document to see which task has failed.

Another thing I noticed when shutting down the PC was a message saying a Coreldraw file was still open. Coreldraw had already been forcefully shut down via Task Manager.

EDIT  !!!!!

I think I may have found the cause of the problem. I created another new file but not in the same directory. Instead I just put is in "My Documents". I could not get the saving to fail, it just worked great every time.

So back I went to my usual folder and opened up a file there. The saving problem was back.

Next did a "Save As" with the problem file and saved it to a folder in "My Documents". I could then repeatedly save it without problem and could then shut down Coreldraw normally.

I'm thinking that perhaps the problem lays with the length of the file path. I'm sure there's a limit of 255 characters in the file path and maybe the path to my normal folder is too long, and that is causing the "background task" to not complete.

Please chip in if you have any other theories on what's happening.

EDIT (again)

just went and counted and the path length is about 264 and after a bit of Googling the max length seems to be 260 so maybe this is the problem.