Nothing is really black, color names disappeared from palette sidebar

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel i7-950

12 MB RAM

GTX 580

Canon PRO-100 printer

Corel Suite 15

============================================================

I'm too tired to figure this out on my own.

Everything was fine this morning. Then my printer runs out of photo magenta ink. Figured I'd just print everything black and white (grey scale). I selected black and white print for my next piece.

I printed a photo behind black text, and found the text was no longer really black—it was just dark grey in the print. I looked at the computer and it looked dark grey on screen. Maybe I'm just really tired and not seeing right?  I went to check the fill on the text and found the color names were replaced by CYMK numeric values. My text fill color was:

C: 0

Y: 0

M: 0

K: 100

That's black, right? Don't know why it no longer says "Black," but I think that's the CYMK equivalent.

Again, everything was fine before I ran out of photo magenta.

First, what happened to my color names in the palette sidebar? They were there before.

Second, is it impossible to print black without a photo magenta cartridge?

============================================

The Preserve pure black under Tools> Color Management> Default Settings was UNCHECKED.

Was that it?

Did I uncheck it in my sleep?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Two-sided doesn't always mean two-sided, when you buy Staples brand 19×13" photo paper. Not the first time it's happened, but I was too tired to remember. This particular sheet was coated on only one side, so the image turned out faded. I printed the same image on the other side, and the true blacks returned.

The other problem remains. I think I clicked something in my stupor, because the actual names of the colors appeared in fly-outs as I passed over the toolbar with the mouse. It's been like that since the 90's, when I started with this. Now, I just see CYMK values. Clicking Show color names removes the sidebar and replaces it with a clumsy floating menu.

How do I make the default palette show the names, not CYMK values?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here I go, answering my own questions....

I opened up Windows ► Dockers ► Color Palette Manager

The My Palettes folder was empty

I dragged Default palette from Palette Libraries to My Palettes, which actually created a copy.

Next time I looked, the CYMK values were gone, and the color names I know and love had returned.

I do wonder how this changed in the first place. I was really tired, but not to the point of messing around unfamiliar menus. I think I double-clicked on the color sidebar to effect the change.

Parents
No Data
Reply Children
No Data