• Not Answered

Upgrade from Corel Draw X3 Graphics Suite to X5 advantages?

I used Corel Draw X3 Graphics Suite to produce maps for a guidebook about 5 years ago. I am starting another project this year and will do many more maps. I mostly used only CorelDraw out of the suite.

I am considering whether to upgrade to X5 or just stick with X3. I am using Windows XP. It is probably a difficult question to answer, but in general would you advise upgrading to X5 or sticking with X3?

PaulF

24 Replies - Latest Reply

• Are you creating the maps from scratch or importing existing artwork to
    clean up? If you are creating from scratch, I don't think there have
    been many tools added that would make your job easier. If these are
    being printed, then X5's new color management is definitely a reason to
    upgrade since you will have more control over the final printed product.
    Also, if you are importing artwork from other sources then the improved
    import filters would also be a reason to upgrade.

Steve
    www.brutefish.com
  • Hello Paul; I use X4 and will wait for X6 to buy, ( maybe next year)  but X5 does do more thing than X4 ( So I'm told ). If you have the computer to use Windows 7 I think you would like the program  ( at least look at "Pro." or "Ult" ). It would depend on what you are using a graphics program for, to do graphics for a vinyl cutter I'm HAPPY with X4.

My Thoughts George

• X5 & Win 7 -> They love each other.

Go ahead....

• PaulF

I used Corel Draw X3 Graphics Suite to produce maps for a guidebook about 5 years ago. I am starting another project this year and will do many more maps. I mostly used only CorelDraw out of the suite.

I am considering whether to upgrade to X5 or just stick with X3. I am using Windows XP. It is probably a difficult question to answer, but in general would you advise upgrading to X5 or sticking with X3?

PaulF

Hi.

Sounds like you should be ok sticking with X3. Some reasons to upgrade could include:

--You purchase an add on or macro to increase productivity and the add on only works with newer versions of Draw.

--You looked closely at the features that X5 has added and decide one might be very useful to boost productivity or efficiency .

--You need more write-offs on your taxes.

--You just feel like giving it a whirl.

--You inherited a lot of cash or won the lottery.

--The idea of upgrading has become an obsession and your afraid that if you don't upgrade soon you'll lose your mind.

Hope this helps.

~John

• In reply to Silvio Gomes:

Silvio I think you're right

• Hello Again Paul; After looking at some of the replies, and seeing John's post got me thinking. Take a look at John's web site ( gdgmacros.com ) and Jeff's ( macromonster.com ) I have bought macro's from both places and they have helped me a lot in getting things done faster and easer, The way I did the the things took a lot longer to do before, is like getting a new graphics program made just for me to do the things I need done.

My Thoughts George

[edited by: TheSignGuy at 22:39 (GMT -5) on Thu, Jul 21 2011]
  • In reply to Silvio Gomes:

Silvio Win
    X5 & Win 7 -> They love each other.

Win 7 64Bit UnbeatableCool

• In reply to Chris Wills:

Chris Wills

Silvio Win
    X5 & Win 7 -> They love each other.

Win 7 64Bit UnbeatableCool

My best advice: Don't use CorelDRAW X5 (or previous) under Windows 7 64 bits, the best performance is under Windows 7 32 bits. 

• Hi PaulF, X5 on Win 7 64 bit appears to be the best way to go and if you are not sure download a trial version of X5 and try it

I love x5.

Joe

• In reply to Sub GDG_John( ):

RunFlaCruiser

--The idea of upgrading has become an obsession and your afraid that if you don't upgrade soon you'll lose your mind. 

I agree about that not always is neccessary to upgrade. Most people can live and work with an older version, such as X3 or v. 9.0, specially if you do your own jobs, you don't need more, and you can continue with the same programs. On a newest computer, will be faster. But... not always is too simple. If you receive artwork made with Illustrator CS4 or CS5, surely you will need X5. If you need to open files made with X5 or X4, you will need X5. If you like to use the Mesh fill, you will love X5. There're severall reason for why you will need to use X5 instead X3, and later or not, you will need to change. For me, it was almost impossible to use X3 again...

• In reply to Ariel:

Ariel
    My best advice: Don't use CorelDRAW X5 (or previous) under Windows 7 64 bits, the best performance is under Windows 7 32 bits. 

Ariel it seems rock solid on my work machine it is 64bit at home 32bit and I have more trouble with the 32bit.

How many people are using Win7 64bit??

Lets have a show of hands?

Same experience here, 64 bit and Windows 7 at work, much more stable and less crashing than 32 bit home computer!  plans for home upgrade underway....

• In reply to martinem:

martinem

Same experience here, 64 bit and Windows 7 at work, much more stable and less crashing than 32 bit home computer!  plans for home upgrade underway....

Hi.

Win 7 64 bit here.

I've used Vista 32 bit and don't notice that a 64 bit OS is any less stable. Works great.

~John

Hello Chris; I'm using Windows 7 32 bit with X4 and have not had so much as a flicker out of any of the programs on it, I also have Vista 32 bit with X4 and it works good to. I do like Windows 7 the best and if CorelDraw X6 is 64 bit I would change over. But at this time in life all the programs I use are 32 bit so I'm using what the programs were made for......

George

[edited by: TheSignGuy at 11:06 (GMT -5) on Fri, Jul 22 2011]
  • In reply to TheSign Guy:

Win 7 64-bit and the only reason anyone should consider 32-bit is if a legacy driver isn't available for 64-bit.