Moving Fonts from one computer to another.

I have Corel X-5 on one of my computers that uses XP- Pro and I have new computer that  is using windows 7 which also has Corel X-5 on it.

I have certain fonts loaded on the Corel X-5 that is using XP and I want to move them to the new computer.

There are about 200 fonts and I was wondering the best way to move them into Corel X5 that is using Windows 7

Can I just copy them to a flash drive and then install on the new computer.

The reason I am using two computers with one monitor is one of my Roland Printers will work with windows 7 but the rip software will not work with Windows 7 because there are no Windows 7 drivers for it.

Instead of spending a few thousand dollars for new rip software it is easier to just use Windows XP and even thought it is a bit of a pain to keep switching back and forth from computers for now it works just fine.

Thanks Jim

• Yes, fonts are easily moved. They are just files.

An important thing to remember is that if you have postscript type 1 fonts, there will be at least two files with the same name and different extensions. You need at least the PFB and PFM files which should be together in the same folder.

We generally recommend that you do not put them in the windows folder unless you only have a very small number of fonts. Many programs will install uninvited fonts in there, which makes it hard to know what is needed and what is not, but having more than 400 in the fonts folder may cause problems. Instead, put them somewhere else (like c:\fontlib or  a subfolder of it) and use bitstream font navigator (on the CorelDraw DVD) to manage them. It will automatically install any fonts that an existing CorelDraw file needs, for as long as CorelDraw has the corresponding file open. Or you can use BFN to temporarily install a selection of fonts which you need for current work and then, just as easily, uninstall them afterwards.

• You can copy them to/from a flash drive, over an internal network, etc.

But, do not just install them, as the more fonts you have 'installed' the slower Windows will run, after you reach some number (for Win 7, it is about 600-800 fonts, total), as Windows requires more internal resources to manage the 'installed' fonts.

Copy the older (WinXP) fonts to a directory other than C:\Windows\Fonts. Then fire up Bitstream Font Navigator (included with the Corel Graphics Suite) and scan your system for all the fonts. Then any time you need to install a font, from the Font Navigator, simply drag the font from the left sight to the right pane. To uninstall a font, just drag it back. This will help keep Windows from working to much for the few fonts that you are actively using.