X6 Desktop Layer - why do my images keep migrating there?

So, I've dealt with this issue for years, on past versions of Corel also.  Without getting too bogged down in settings and alike, I have struggled with the Desktop layer wanting to "Grab" most of my graphics and place them there.  These are images that I've created, and photos I have imported.  There has been no track able rhyme or reason for it when it happens....    Such as what just happened... I had simply grabbed an image and moved it off of the page layout, off to the side, then saved the drawing.  When I looked back, the vector graphics I had created (on several layers) had all migrated to the Desktop Layer.... but, when it moved to the Desktop the layered graphics changed their order of appearance... the image that was at the back was now on the front, and vise versa.  I had to select all of it, cut and paste it back into the drawing, where it was now all back on Layer 1 again, and it left me with a complete jumbled mess of layers that forced me to rebuild it layer by layer.

Why?  What am I doing wrong?  I've moved plenty of graphics off of the page while designing, and they don't always move to the Desktop.... only sometimes, and usually after saving the file the images decide to let go of each other and the al change places.... and hang out on other layers... just to piss me off!

Any ideas... I thought at one time I understood layers... back in Corel 3 or something like that... but now, I am lost on why I can't better manage my layers, and why this is happening.  I know for a fact it must be me, or my smile, or my after shave... I'm hoping it's something incredibly embarrassing that I simply overlooked...  I give up, I am clueless on this issue....    Aaarrrgggghhh.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who chimes in with an idea....