Speed up your production

When I started with this company they had a computer network in place but the Admin person kept a tight reign on any and all network issues. Although we had 3-6 workstations set up, only one was designated to print to a desktop printer. Within a couple days I enlightened them with the notion that we should be able to print from any workstation and proceeded to "make it so." 

There are many such methods that will speed up production. Anything that can be done to produce artwork and/or signs faster than the other company means more business to come your way.Another issue I had with the company was their use of software. The majority of designs were done with an old version of SignLab. Although I had never heard of it nor used it, I was able to pick it up within hours. I did see that they had Adobe and Corel but never touched Corel. I quickly changed that too. I was able to reduce the turn around time from 1 week to 3-5 business days.

I am constantly aware of bottlenecks and strive to reduce time consuming tasks. Learning keyboard shortcuts and using macros are the key to going fast. Not just application specific keys either. There are many windows keys to learn too.

What I'd like to do is encourage experienced Corel users,as well as, new users to learn keyboard shortcuts and macros.

First thing I do with the UI is to dump all the known icons that have a keyboard shortcut i.e. copy/paste, undo/redo, etc. These are universal with most every program out there so they should have been remembered already. This will make room for other tools that don't normally have a shortcut assigned to them and various macro shortcuts

Some of the best macros that I couldn't live without are below in no certain order.

1. Toggle between wireframe - assigned to my "x" key.

2. Quick Dimensions - assigned to my "d" key (select shape, hit "d" drops height and width dimension lines

3. Cropmarks - the way I need them to be.

4. Create Weed Lines

5. MakeBleeds

6. Ellipse to Page - you can already double-click the rectangle tool to get a rectangle to page

7. Octagon to page - 1 click to get an octagon shape (long process using polygon tool)

8. Arrow to page - same reason as above

9. MoveToLayer1 & MoveToCutLayer

10. DeleteEmptyLayers - many adobe files come in with unnecessary layers

11. SelectSameFillColor - hit icon brings up the eye dropper, select the color you're looking for and everything with that same color is selected

12. SelectSameOutlineColor - see above

13. WeedingTriangles- vinyl people know what this is

14. InsertCompanyLogo - drops logo on the page

15. Links to customer file directory - i.e hit "A" icon takes you right to all customers in the A folder

16. LabelSwatches - draw several squares filled with different colors and the macro will label the fill formulas. 

17. Print Landscape/Portrait - used within the Print Preview screen to quickly toggle between the two options

18. SimpleSave - 1 click "save as" X4 (my choice but can be altered)

19. Pre-nest for print - some multiple prints will not print correctly when nested within RIP software. This will quickly nest one shape to multiples before exporting for print

20. CloseNoSave - allows closing of a file if you know you don't need to save changes.

I'll add to these and also explain some user interface add-ons I made to the right click menu