Macro needed $; anyone?

Following pseudo code seems ideal, but the object is to send printmerge data to laser engraver w/o operator understanding (or having the chance to screw up) CorelDRAW, file format, etc.

1.  Operator selects template from a list of ~10.
2.  Operator scans barcode which is the name of a datafile (probably, CSV w/.txt extension)
3.  macro, behind the scenes, uses printmerge functionality to Merge to New Document

Optionally:
4.  Allows user to select from a list of 8-10 Imposition Layouts
5.  Sends to a print driver.

If no "takers,"   Any/All of that "doable" with VBA?   I don't see any way to record or access Print Merge functions(?).

Roy Brewer

Parents
  • Where I have a lack of KnowHow: What do you need to send to this printer? Will it work with a 'normal' Corel print job where the Corel document you send to the printer has exactly the size your final output needs? I haven't tested it before, but it should be possible to add a document to a certain print queue.

I also haven't practical experience with that, but it also should be possible to trigger Corel with a command button on an Excel sheet.
    But where I have tons of experiences is, that you can read in a CSV or Txt (XML, Json, …) file and update or append a row with needed data with one click.

What I also did a few times before is, that I triggered Word or PowerPoint from Excel where I submitted somehow information from the current Excel sheet or the currently visible rows. What I saw with a quick view, Corel can be used for that as well.

Means: It should be theoretical possible to have a workbook with macros which has

-    A command button you have to click when a scanner provided data to a file and this information is imported to the current sheet. If the information is for a single item, it's no problem to place the cursor to the added / updated line

-    Then the user has to do either nothing or set the filter / cursor to a certain line or range. Maybe he needs to update some information not given in the input file in the Excel sheet (e.g. printer or layout)

-    The next command button will cause then that the Corel application is started in Excel, creates out of the information from the current row(s) one or more images and send them to a printer.

If all information (with a hint for the layout and printer) is given in the CSV (or similar) file, it's also not a huge challenge to run Corel in a kind of server mode: It scans each 1/5/10/30 sec/min/hour one or more directories for new CSV-Files. If there is something new available, it reads the content, creates out of it a printable file, send it to the printer and renames/delete afterwards the CSV. Depending on the folder the Scanner save's the file, it's also no problem to define for this information printer and layout.

Maybe more detailed information will inspire me to even more possibilities, maybe some other details will force me to say: Mission impossible.

But: If you want me to do this, it will not happen within the next days, since I have to follow a regular job and need to take care about my old mother. If you think, you can do it as well with some hints from my side, maybe it's much faster.

Reply Children