Unexplained Noise In Rendered Images

Hi Community,

I've been using Corel PHOTOPAINT for many, many years (CorelDRAW since 2.x) but have just upgraded from X8 to 2018 a few days ago. I do a great deal of photo editing.

My problem is that PHOTOPAINT 2018 appears to be rendering noise into images opened in that app. So far, it's happening with .jpg, .tif, .png and cr2 raws after import. I'm at a loss to fix it.

My monitors are well and truly calibrated, I have ICC profiles installed, I've set rendering intent to perceptual, but no matter what I do, I can't remove the rendered noise.

Here's two comparisons between PHOTOPAINT 2018 and Photoshop CC 2018 - but it could equally be Lightroom, Win10 Photos, or even Gimp.    

If someone could point me to the culprit settings, I'd be hugely grateful!

Parents
No Data
  • If you can please send me a link to a high res TIF file please to test.

If I have a TIF file from Photoshop, open it in Photo-PAINT the file looks sharper in Photo-PAINT than in Photoshop. If I save that original TIF file and rename it in Photo-PAINT. Then open both the original PS and PP version in Photoshop both TIF files look identical in Photoshop, softer than PP.

If this is not what you see there is something wrong. Photo-PAINT only makes changes you ask it to make.

If I open both TIF files one from PP and one from PS in Photo-PAINT both files look identical to each other but sharper than the PS display. 

In any scenario the two TIF file print identically.

Children
  • Hi David,

located here are two files - a crop of the Hi-Res TIF plus a comparison of what I see between PhotoPaint-2018 and Photoshop-CC-2018: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PKs4jAQdzMrojauN8 

For clarity, the RAW (CR2) image was first opened in Lightroom (no edits) then saved out as a full res TIF, then max res jpg. Viewing those files in PhotoPaint-2018 adds the noise you see above and in the links. 

As indicated earlier, today I tried 'reversing' my pipeline: I used the native PhotoPaint-2018 CR2 import utility (no tweaking) then saved the image out as both TIF and JPG. In this case, the noise is non-existent and a comparison between PhotoPaint-2018 and Photoshop-CC-2018 shows virtually identical results (shown in same link above)  So, that's a win, I guess.     

However, it would seem that almost all the older files I have checked that had a Lightroom > TIF/JPG > PhotoPaintX8 pipeline show similar levels of noise - but only when opened in PhotoPaint-2018. For me, that is a *significant* issue. Noise that was not evident in X8 is now overwhelming in v2018 - and what's more, it's retained when saving out of v2018 into any format.  

I'm no expert, but it seems that PhotoPaint-2018 is not reading/rendering stuff that has been 'touched' by Adobe stuff the way it used to be. 

I'm at a loss, but if I can't find a work-around (for the 1000's of images created in X8), sadly, I'll need to move away from PhotoPaint.

Hope you or someone can assist.