SUPER EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!

I was SO exited when CorelDraw 2019 for Mac was Released. I was finally going to get rid of that Windows OS that I only use for Corel. And I was finally going to get rid of Parallels too since I did not need windows anymore. 
So I immediately downloaded the software and then the issues and dissatisfactions came....
1) No upgrade option. NO, there is no upgrade option if you already own Corel draw for windows. So now you have to pay the full amount for this software. COREL, COME ON GUYS!!!!!!!!! 
2) After trying the software I found the first MAJOR issue (at least to me) and CorelDRAW tech support CAN'T figure it out. How to import a WORKSPACE. I ask tech support and the way they say to do it does not work. I've tried it multiple ways and nothing. Ok, maybe that's not a huge problem, I can redo my workspace and setup the options to work the way I want them to. No biggie right? WRONG!!! that leads to #3
3) Now I could be wrong, I really can but I've looked and looked and gone into different options within CorelDRAW preference AND I still CAN'T find the CUSTOMIZATION section of CorelDRAW for Mac. On the windows side I can make my own shortcuts, settings of what keyboard keys to use to do what.... you know, setting up the tools so that one can work smoothly and quicker. Yeah, that doesn't exist in Corel for Mac...Again I could be wrong..... I am HOPING someone can prove me wrong. 
4) This CorelDRAW version is slower (at least to me) than the windows version. I run windows 10 in parallel with everything split down the middle in reference to CPU and Memory. If you use parallels you understand what I am referring to. CorelDRAW in virtual windows runs faster. SO I said, well maybe its because I am running windows and windows may be taking away from the CPU and Memory of the Mac. So I completely close parallels and still CorelDRAW doesn't operate as fast as the windows side. Again this may just be me. 
5)  Where is the menu bar with the quick open, import, export, etc????? I understand that windows is a different platform completely from Mac but heck I would think they can add this feature since they added other shortcuts on the top menu. 
At the end of it all for the price CorelDRAW sells this it should be 100% match to the windows side. As of now it's like 75% match. This new version of Corel draw is missing several things and feels washed down. It feels that it was made just to attract Mac users to buy your product. 
There are so many things wrong with this system yet CorelDRAW is selling it. It’s like selling a new car with missing parts just because the manufacturer wants to show off a new car. 
It’s pathetic!!! 
Can anyone else chime in? Maybe I am incorrect on the above? 
Parents
No Data
  • This version was made quickly to try to win back users who have migrated to MAC from windows because of other software encroaching on the CorelDRAW family of products, and have found that programs like Affinity Designer are very capable at replacing CorelDRAW.  Not only that, they have a version of AD that runs on ipad pro, so you can take it with you and use the superior Apple Pencil product. Ironically you can now use the ipad pro and apple pencil as a "wacom tablet" type device with the new IOS/MAC OS systems. 

I have used CorelDRAW since 1.0x on windows 3.x back in the late 80s, early 90s.  Back when you couldnt import a black and white bitmap without it crashing the program.  We got on the beta program early because we ran a print shop and produced a yellow pages product using exclusively PC based graphics programs.  (1 mac for 15k, or 3 pc workstations and a scanner with 2 laserprinters for the same money networked together.  it made sense for productivity!). Most shops used illustrator and QuarkXpress to do the page layout. We used CorelVentura Publisher after it was purchased by Corel. In those days, Corel was very responsive and came out with patches very quickly using the patch programs of the day as they tried to build a brand and compete against illustrator.

Sadly, Corel has become a casualty of their own success.  They still battle Adobe, but I will take CorelDRAW, buggy but usable, over a subscription Adobe product any day of the week.  For what you get, Corel has always been the "kitchen sink" of graphics programs, doing just about anything and handling an incredible variety of file formats. In the end though, this version of CorelDRAW for MAC was rushed and needs a program manager that is not trying to "see the future" but instead is focused on "meet the requirements" of end users so the PC and MAC versions are truly in sync!!! WHERE ARE YOU PM OF MY DREAMS!??

So many features are not ready for prime time. The zoom and pan in the UI is so frustrating it makes me want to scream...with random movements, and slow redraw.  Why would you eliminate the "manual refresh" of the screen when you have such a glaring issue in speed and panning?? I end up using zoom into all objects just to get it to stop.  Making outline colors a two step process instead of one is just plain dumb.  Dont get me starting on outlines of text being almost impossible to get to sometimes. Saving settings like turning off "automatic hyperlinking" for the next project as default just dont work. it acts like it's saving it to disk, as it takes a minute, but somehow skips this item and doesnt load at the next project.

I have faith that Corel will fix these issues because it's obvious that they have put a lot of time and financial resources into creating this version while releasing the PC counterpart at the same time. My continued issue with Corel is that WE end up being the beta (sometimes alpha) testers on a product they release and WE PAY for. A systemic problem in all of software development. Meeting a deadline in spite of being ready.

I think what makes me very sad is that the two service packs out for CorelDRAW 2019 have done almost NOTHING to address the UI issues and usability of the program.

My advice. Buy Affinity and integrate the best into Corel MAC...launch a CorelDRAW for IPad Pro version. But PLEASE. PLEASE, fix this dog.

Peter Richards

former graphics manager/CTO of Banana Pages of Seattle, WA

Children