Quilt block arc challenge anyone?

I have these perfect laser-cut acrylic templates to make this Rose Dream quilt block (for a 6" block). Now I need to create illustrated instructions to make the block from fabric. Been doing this for years, so the instructions are not the issue. I created the block quickly in CD, no problem. However, when I checked it against the acrylic template, the arcs of the lens-shaped piece did not match. Took me awhile to understand that the creator made the template a specific width, so it's not a 90° arc. 

So...the challenge is to create the block so that with of the arc is 2.00" (that would make the height of the arc 1.00"). If you're bored or curious to try, I've attached a PDF with a few more details. BTW, I think I found a way to do it, but I'm curious to see if someone comes up with another way. 

rdblock

Just keep in mind...all the geometry I know, I've learned as a quilter. My hubby told be this is really trigonometry. 

RoseDream_challenge.pdf

Parents Reply
  • Thanks for that link to PlanetCalc! Now about creating it from the circular ellipse with a 2.75" radius...not sure how you did that and made it fit the on the diagonal 4.2426 line. Can you enlighten me?

I started with a circular ellipse, and a horizontal line offset by one inch from the top:

Using the Shape tool, I dragged the node of the ellipse to only have it span a fraction of the full 360°, and to be open instead of a pie wedge:

I finished by trimming off the ends using the Virtual Segment Delete tool:

I would then rotate the curve 45° before placing it.

I wasn't "counting clicks" on this. There may be a slicker way to do that.

Children