Gradient problem

Hi all! I’m having a problem with the gradient fill in draw. If I do a horizontal gradient every thing is fine. It looks fine on the screen, it prints fine and it subs fine. If I do a vertical gradient it has lines across it. It prints that way and it subs that way. I’ve tried changing settings but I can’t get it to stop. Btw...this has been this way in previous versions of Corel draw as well. 

Parents Reply
  • I typically set the number of steps (in the "Flow" part of the dialog box) to the max of 999

Actually, that's not the best solution, as a matter of fact it can ruin the printed result.

If you lock the number of steps, you also prevent it from being smooth in some cases.
    Even though 999 may sound perfect, it can create banding in large format prints, and in some cases also in smaller formats.

I remember many years ago when I tried to print vinyl for a sign, and the background had a dark brown CMYK elliptical gradient going from 43, 52, 71, 70 to 43, 52, 71, 90.
    The only difference was as you can see the black going from 70 to 90.
    By locking the steps, even though it was 999, I effectively also prevented Draw from creating more than 21 different colors in that gradient, and it resulted in very noticeable banding and an expensive reprint.

So leave the Steps checkbox unchecked.

The reason is that by leaving it unchecked, you tell the export filter or RIP to create a fill going from color A to color B, and as a result it uses as many colors as it can handle.

At least that's what I've been told, and my experience tells me it is (or at least was ten years ago) correct.
    Give it a try.

Children