Where to start with CorelDraw

Hi All!

I'm looking to learn CorelDraw to expand my opportunities where I work. I have previously used illustrator and photoshop many many moons ago and I'm looking for recommendations on where to start? I work in clothing production (sportswear in particular) so I need to create line drawings, technical drawings and specification packs. I currently don't have a license for my work place so I will be looking to start with a personal subscription/license, with the intention of getting a license for work once I have more experience with CorelDraw.

Any feedback, recommendations welcome! 

Parents
No Data
  • Dive right in! Helps to have an actual goal or specific job. Corel's workspace out of the box has a lot of peculiarities that I find annoying so I immediately change it.

Don't need the welcome page.

Start under Tools/Options. Don't like to set page parameters each and every time to start a new doc so I uncheck that.
    I set to "Start a New Document" as the default.
    Change the number of Undo levels to much less than the default of 50 for regular and even less for bitmap effects.
    Under Document/Page Size, change to your most commonly used. Mine happens to be Broad Sheet, landscape, no bleed.
    Another biggie for me is the "Treat all objects as filled". That's under Options/Toolbox/Pick Tool. Uncheck that. I want a shape that has no fill be act like it's empty as expected i.e. you have to select the outer line to select. If it's filled then, yes, you can click anywhere on it to select.
    Next I start eliminating some off the icons on the workspace. A lot of them I use the shortcuts for anyway i.e. copy/paste/import/export etc.
    You can put the tools that are most more useful for your needs up top. Or create your own toolbar and put icons in that.
    Learn and use the built in shortcuts. Especially the alignment ones. t=top, c=center, l=left, r=right, b=bottom
    I see a lot of new user that can't grasp the mouse wheel to zoom. They still want to go to the Zoom Tool! Use the mouse wheel!

Once you get the basics set up just start drawing.

I find that corel's workspace and shortcuts make much more sense than illustrator. A shape has an "outline" not  "stroke"! You can marquee select shapes without selecting everything it touches, again, as it should be. Drawing a shapes should always start with the way you have your defaults set not "Last used" as in illustrator. Mine is set to RGB black hairline and no fill.

Children
No Data