Nodes convert on weld, objects distort when nodes moved

Greetings all

I have seen an issue cropping up from time to time of shapes distorting when moved by their nodes. I managed to replicate the issue and figured out whats happening. I'm not sure if it only happens when you weld but if you see this cropping up in you work you know whats happening.

If you create the shape above by welding circles together then move the nodes the shape distorts a bit (the red is the resulting shape). This happens when you weld it together since some of the nodes are switched to symmetrical but their control handles are in a smoothed mode. As soon as you move the shapes nodes then the nodes control handles are recalculated "properly" to symmetrical.

This can be avoided by just switching all the nodes to Cusp. Then when the nodes are worked with there is no need to change the control handles.

I hope this helps anyone else that may have hit this challenge.

Parents
No Data
  • I would post a link to another thread where this was discussed, but the forum search appears to still be broken...

When I was looking at this at the time, the problem seemed to be nodes that were symmetrical before the shaping operation, but should have been changed to smooth after the operation - but aren't. They are still "tagged" as being symmetrical, and editing "wakes them up", at which time  the symmetrical nature is asserted (messing up the shape).

Going to cusp is one way of doing it. Another way of doing it is to change those nodes from symmetrical to smooth after the shaping operation, but before doing any other editing.

Children