Extending lines

Im looking for a macro function that will let me grab one or multiple lines, and have them extend to meet where they would intersect on another object or line. Similar to how the extend / trim function works in Autocad. 

In this image, the lines would need to extend inward to meet the arc. 

Parents Reply
  • just converting these files specifically from imperial to metric gradations

Would you care to expand on exactly what you are trying to accomplish? What you are starting with, and the result you need to obtain from it? If we understood the nature of the problem, then we might be able to suggest a different way to approach it.

Would it be sufficient, for example, if you had a tool that could change the length of each of those two-node lines?

Children
  • It is an odd task. I design and digitally print custom gauge faces for vehicles. For all of those vehicles, I have a set of line art and numbers that match the factory layout. When I convert one of my patterns to metric, I have to import the gradation marks, and then I apply the specific colors, weights, and layout to the gradation marks. In this particular pattern, certain lines had to be extended slightly to match my imperial pattern. 

So in the example photo above, I drew a circle that represented the boundary of where the lines had to extend inward for a particular portion of the gradation (this particular artwork has 5 groups for this). 

All of this is typically happening inside of a symbol, which can also restrict tool use in corel since it dislikes complicated nesting files. I also have to keep a layer order and setup for spot color printing, since these are done on a CMYKWG printer. 

• I understand what you are wishing for. I'm familiar with that sort of "extend" capability from my own CAD experience. I just don't have a ready-made equivalent of that in CorelDRAW.

However, I do have a macro that includes some tools for manipulating two-node lines:

#25 - Macro - "Match Vectors".

Here's a video where I start with some dial ticks, and then:

1. Manually extend one of the ticks to a reference ellipse using Dynamic Guides and Snap to Objects.
    2. Save the length of that segment in the Length combobox in Match Vectors.
    3. Select all of the ticks.
    4. Reverse the lines (swap the Start and End nodes).
    5. Recall the Length value stored earlier, then apply that to all of the selected ticks.
    6. Reverse the lines again.
    7. Type in a different length, then apply it to the selected ticks.