Terminology for nodes between line and curve segments

I can't find any literature to help me understand the correct terminology for all the possible nodes between line or curve segments. The following node, between straight line segments 1 and 2, has no node options and its preceding segment is defined as a line (see arrow).

The next snip shows line segment 2 with its end connector/node highlighted. This "node" defines a line, but the node is symmetrical. If you pull the control handle on the right, the direction is constrained by the line in segment 2. All the remaining nodes, 3-6, define curve segments with symmetrical nodes, and you can pull the control handles on either side and change the direction as well as the length of the arcs.

I understand that it is proper to describe the diamond-shaped nodes (symmetrical nodes), as well as cusps or smooth nodes, separating and defining curve segments as, in fact, nodes. But what do I call the "nodes" above on either end of segment 1 and segment 2?

In other words, do lines, or lines connected to curves, have "nodes?" Or are these mere "points," as a straight line is defined as the distance and direction between to points?

Thanks,
John

• The node between Segment 1 and Segment 2 is a cusp node.

That node does not have any "options" because both Segment 1 and Segment 2 are Line segments.

If you change Segment 1 or Segment 2 to being a Curve segment, then the cusp node between them will have the option to be changed to a Smooth node.

• This reply might be to late, but none the less maybe it's helpful. This is my understanding of it. See attached pdf.

To me the first two nodes are both cusp nodes. The second node seems to have a symmetrical connection to segment 1 though and is fixed in direction by segment 1 (the line) and only "bends" segment 2 (a curved segment). For the control point on the second node (not the start node) to have an effect on Segment 1, node 2 would have to be converted to curve to add control points for Segment 1.

PDF