Software Subscription

Over the last 25 years I've spent thousands of dollars on Corel software and now they have decided not to allow me to upgrade anymore.  They decided I should rent their software instead, I don't rent software, ask Adobe I quit their software for the same reason.  Does anyone know another software package?

Parents Reply
  • $650 to upgrade my already paid for software is not an upgrade it's a replacement.  I've been with Corel from version 1.0 but I guess this is where we part.

Yeah, I think it's a big mistake for Corel to play hard-ball with existing CorelDRAW users. To paraphrase Princess Leia, the more they tighten their grip on CorelDRAW customers the more they'll see customers slipping through their fingers.

I think the policy established a couple years ago to ditch traditional perpetual license upgrades will end up reducing Corel's income from CorelDRAW purchases. Sure, some hardcore professional customers like myself who've been using CorelDRAW going back to the 1990's might stick with it since we're so vested with the software. Other existing customers will be tempted to bolt over to rival software. Some may go with Adobe's stuff. Others may migrate to any of the low cost or free alternatives available.

A big part of the CorelDRAW customer base has been more casual, non-professional, office-productivity graphics production. Basically we're talking "bean counters" doing their own DIY graphics work in-house. Their needs are fairly basic in nature. And they don't need something expensive to fill that need. Without offering any normal upgrade path I think Corel is effectively saying goodbye to that block of customers.

Meanwhile Corel is literally doing nothing to grow its customer base. How can they expect to attract new users with this pricing model and their track record as of late with maintaining the product? Lackluster new product versions and performance issues are not going to win people over from the Adobe camp or convince others to spend a little more rather than go with a free or low cost drawing package.

I still need the program, I pay my upgrade pricing and it's a reasonable price. Currently the price structure would have me buying once in three years.

I got in on the $99 "upgrade protection" rate when they were fixing to pull the plug on upgrades for existing CorelDRAW licenses. That essentially works out to what it used to cost to buy every CorelDRAW upgrade years ago when they were on a 2 year product cycle. And even back then some of us users were skipping an upgrade or two. Today that deal is no longer available to any existing, long time CorelDRAW users.

The reality is what it is. The question is do you really need CorelDRAW? Many Corel users don't any longer,  their only need is to open old Draw files, the actual tasks they perform can be done with other software. 

What graphics programs outside of CorelDRAW accurately import CDR files? Adobe Illustrator briefly had a CDR import filter but then they removed it (they also removed Freehand import filters too). Affinity Designer, Vectornator and Autodesk Graphic don't import CDR files either. Inkscape is the only drawing app I know of that will directly open CDR files, but it doesn't do a very accurate job at it. But, to give Inkscape a little credit, it will import CDR files made in version 5 or earlier -which is something CorelDRAW itself can no longer do.

Whether Corel survives or not CorelDRAW users will need to have functional CorelDRAW installations to be able to open archived CDR files and export the artwork in AI, EPS or PDF for use in rival graphics software.

Children
No Data