Software Subscription

Over the last 25 years I've spent thousands of dollars on Corel software and now they have decided not to allow me to upgrade anymore.  They decided I should rent their software instead, I don't rent software, ask Adobe I quit their software for the same reason.  Does anyone know another software package?

Parents Reply
  • $650 to upgrade my already paid for software is not an upgrade it's a replacement.

Corel is not offering to upgrade your "paid for software" for $650.

What they are offering is ~$500 to start from scratch, with the option of spending an additional ~$150 pretty much up front to buy one year of "upgrade protection" - to a large extent "paying in advance" for an upgrade to the next version.

The upgrade protection is a subscription service, so as long as you keep paying ~$150 per year, you continue to ride on the "upgrade train". Cancel that subscription - stop paying - and your perpetual license is still valid, at the most recent version to which you had upgraded before "stepping off the train".

This weird combination of perpetual-license-with-ongoing-subscription-for-upgrading is really confusing to a lot of users, and I understand why many people don't like it even if they do fully understand it. Back in the day, they could sit out a few version upgrades, and then upgrade a license to the latest version at a modest cost when they thought it was worth it. Of course people liked that; it was much less expensive per year than current options.

You can vote with your wallet, and make some effort to let Corel know why they are losing you as a customer.

Children