Corel X4 hanging frequently and crashing

I posted this back when using CorelX3 and never got any response. I also could not get any response from Corel technical support. Now I am using Corel X4 with the latest service pack, and still getting the exact same problem!

I have been using Corel products for over ten years and have never had a problem like this: I have CorelDRAW X4 running on Windows Vista Business as a client on a Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 network. All drawings are saved in my "Documents" folder and "My Documents Redirection" is enabled on the server. During the course of the workday, CorelDRAW hangs very frequently (sometimes as frequently as every 10-15 minutes) upon attempting to perform a function.

An example would be: I am working on a drawing and, using the text tool, begin typing. After a few characters, the program just hangs. Another example would be: I click an object with the pick tool and attempt to move it, and the program just hangs. Once the program hangs, I can do nothing else in CorelDRAW - it is completely unresponsive. The really interesting part is that once CorelDRAW hangs, I can not begin any new processes in Windows Vista - that is, I can not open new programs (such as Outlook), open Internet Explorer, etc... or even close programs that are currently open. If I attempt to open any other programs or windows, nothing happens. If I bring up task manager and end CorelDRAW (which is listed as "not responding"), then as SOON as Corel terminates, ALL of the programs and windows I tried opening IMMEDIATELY pop up.

This could be some kind of CorelDRAW network issue, as SOMETIMES I can solve this issue by clicking "Sync All" on the "Sync Center" in Vista. If the program syncs successfully, then Corel immediately unhangs, and everything is fine for a few seconds. However, if I attempt to do more than a few functions in Corel after that point, Corel hangs again. I believe this to be an issue with CorelDRAW, as NO OTHER program on this client causes this problem (or has any problem), including Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, and several other graphics programs. The client computer in question has Vista fully updated, 2.4Ghz Core2 Duo CPU, 4GB RAM, and plenty of free HDD space. I have multiple client computers here with similarly fast hardware, and every one of them experiences this issue.

There are no unnecessary processes or malware running on this computer. There are no issues whatsoever on this computer except for with Corel. No other program on this computer causes the hanging issue that Corel is experiencing.

I would appreciate any advice. If I need to supply any more information, please just ask.

Thank you.

Parents
No Data
  • The client computer in question has Vista fully updated (the latest service packs and all updates from Windows Update), 2.4Ghz Core2 Duo CPU, 4GB RAM, and plenty of free HDD space. Corel X4 is fully updated with the latest service pack. I have multiple client computers here (we have many Corel users) with similarly fast hardware, and every one of them experiences this issue. That is, there are several separate machines on this Small Business Network, each running Corel, and each suffering the same problem. Corel is being ran directly from each client (there is no application server).

The server is a typical Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003, fully updated and passing with flying colors on all of Microsoft's Best Practice Analyzers. There is over 50GB of free space on the drive housing the document redirection. The network is a gigabit network.

"My Documents" redirection is enabled on the Small Business Server, and is all set up by the books. It functions fine with all other programs, including Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Flash, Microsoft Office, and many other applications, all of which are are using the "My Documents" folder to store the working files in.

No other program that we run is experiencing or causing this hanging, so I tend to think it is something specifically with Corel. The hanging issue does not seem to have any real "trigger" or specific reasoning for happening. That is, the hanging can not be reproduced by carrying out certain commands, functions, etc... It is almost random, but it is very frequent. The only funcntion that seems to make it happen more than others is editing text. That is, if I click the text tool, then click a piece of text to edit it, then start typing a few letters, it can hang. This does not happen all of the time, and there are certainly plenty of other things that have caused it to hang (even as simple as selecting an object with the "pick tool!"), so I don't think it is a "text" or "font" issue.

I appreciate the help and suggestions.

Children